PDA

View Full Version : Fish can recognize faces

Volcmreefer
06/07/2016, 03:24 PM
Thought this was cool. Would love to see them do it with reef species.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/07/health/fish-human-face-recognition-study-trnd/index.html

cougareyes
06/07/2016, 04:09 PM
Don't you notice that your fish act different toward you than other people. When I point this out to my friends they are amazed. I have a tank with 4 dwarf lionfish they come up to me and follow me around because I hand feed the tank, they don't do it to anyone else. My angler fish would only shake his rod at me. Same with the large fish in my 210 fowlr, I hand feed my puffer so he follows me around, could care less about someone he doesn't recognize. Some fish are more social than others and those are the ones that seem to recognize.

GimpyFin
06/07/2016, 04:19 PM
I agree, fish can become very personable and recognize faces. Especially to those who feed them. My starry blenny will pose standing vertically in the corner on his tail often when I come near the tank. He doesn't really do it for my wife or anybody else.

mcgyvr
06/07/2016, 06:06 PM
and how many thousands of dollars in tax money went to study something that just about anyone with a fish tank knows..
mine knew exactly when it was feeding time vs anyone else just walking past the tank..
Heck my goby literally plays hide and seek with my cat.

I should call cnn and let them know fish play games too and can interact with other animals.. :)

Alexraptor
06/07/2016, 07:05 PM
and how many thousands of dollars in tax money went to study something that just about anyone with a fish tank knows..

This!!! :lol:

Not only that, but they also recognize us without seeing us by the way we walk and the kind of vibrations we produce.

CStrickland
06/07/2016, 07:05 PM

Not that much, and not yours.
Oxford's primary source is private funding: donations, charities, foundations, and councils. They are one of the least gov't-dependent public research institutions. And they are in England. They did partner with University of Queensland, idk how they fundraise so maybe our Aussie friends have cause for concern :)

Cool study, nice find volcm!

Jeff4777
06/07/2016, 07:15 PM
All i can say is.. my trigger fish, the female specifically, is literally like a pet dog and begs attention from me. She does all kinds of crazy things i never thought a fish could do

jbvdhp
06/08/2016, 12:14 AM
Cool, didn't need cnn to tell me that. They see me, they see food. And they don't care if I work in the tank.

Sent using your IP address

GimpyFin
06/08/2016, 12:39 AM
mine knew exactly when it was feeding time vs anyone else just walking past the tank..
Heck my goby literally plays hide and seek with my cat.

I should call cnn and let them know fish play games too and can interact with other animals.. :)

:lmao::lmao: This is pretty true. Regardless of where the money for their study comes from, I'd have to say none of the people involved own fish tanks.

anbosu
06/08/2016, 07:10 AM
:lmao::lmao: This is pretty true. Regardless of where the money for their study comes from, I'd have to say none of the people involved own fish tanks.

Or they do and wanted to prove it empirically.