PDA

View Full Version : newbie sump confusion

Red_Fisher23
06/07/2016, 10:46 PM
I'm somewhat new to the hobby, currently running a 33 long tank with 35 pounds of live rock, a frogspawn and a green toadstool leather, I have been researching sumps and how to use them and what not, my tank is not pre drilled so I would have to use a overflow box and I do not currently have a skimmer which would be in the sump, if anyone could help me with simplifying the whole scheme of putting together all the components of having a sump I'd appreciate it! Thanks

Capiross1
06/07/2016, 11:43 PM
You would either have to have a hang on the back overflow or drill your tank and install a over flow box in this case you would have to empty your tank to do so, I have no experience with HOB overflows but if I were you I would either empty it and drill or look into buying a new tank. Basically water will drain from the tank down into the sump and then you would have a return pump in your sump to return water into your tank.

GimpyFin
06/08/2016, 09:54 AM
I've had an overflow box on a small cube tank for a couple years now. They work fairly well. The overflow box will have a bulkhead for your drain hose/piping going to your sump. If you are buying a premade sump, this generally hooks up to an inlet with a filter sock attached. There's also a chamber for your skimmer and a spot to place your return pump which will pump back to the main tank. Eshopps makes decent overflow boxes. I wouldn't recommend getting an oversized one either (Get one sized for your tank.) The bigger ones have larger siphon tubes designed for higher flow rates. If you don't have a higher flow pump to match (Which you won't for a smaller tank) air pockets will build in the siphon tube, potentially causing a siphon break which in turn could cause your tank to overflow.

mcgyvr
06/08/2016, 10:50 AM
Why do you want a sump?
IMO.. HOB overflows scare the crap out of me..
I had one on my old tank and worried every night that I'd wake up to water all over the floor..

IMO.. Either drill the tank properly (w/bean animal style only) or don't do a sump at all..

If its just for a skimmer there are plenty of hang on skimmers..
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/protein-skimmers/hang-on-skimmers.html

IMO.. with a small tank there is little benefit to actually having a sump..

juniorrocketdad
06/08/2016, 11:00 AM
Why do you want a sump?
IMO.. HOB overflows scare the crap out of me..
I had one on my old tank and worried every night that I'd wake up to water all over the floor..

IMO.. Either drill the tank properly (w/bean animal style only) or don't do a sump at all..

If its just for a skimmer there are plenty of hang on skimmers..
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/protein-skimmers/hang-on-skimmers.html

IMO.. with a small tank there is little benefit to actually having a sump..

Although I agree that he doesn't need a dump in a small tank a dump is actually more beneficial since it adds water volume which helps with everything

Greybeard
06/08/2016, 11:10 AM
You choices are: (A) stay with what you have, perhaps add HOB equipment. (B) Drill an overflow for a sump. and (C) use a hang on overflow.

Nothing wrong with A or B. I'd never choose, or recommend, option C. I've got very little faith in any sort of hang on overflow. IMHO, they are simply not dependable enough to build a system around.

Drilling a hole in the back or end of a small tank is really not that big of a deal. Yes, you have to empty the tank, with all the hassle that involves. I'd recommend looking at glass holes, their kits are complete, well designed, and just plain work.

mcgyvr
06/08/2016, 11:13 AM
Although I agree that he doesn't need a dump in a small tank a dump is actually more beneficial since it adds water volume which helps with everything

Sure.. but how much.. and does an extra what 5 gallons really make enough of a difference to justify the cost/added electricity,etc...
Probably not IMO..

If you do decide to drill.. make darn sure its not tempered glass either as that won't work at all..

still think its not worth it IMO for such a small tank.. But thats the OP's decision..
I'm just a "back to basics" guy now.. I had a 120G long with all the bells/whistles/reactors,etc.. It was just such a pain to maintain..
I'm 40B now.. no sump.. airstone skimmer and a heater.. regular 5 gallon twice a month water changes.. Life is so simple now..

ThisGuy12
06/10/2016, 01:09 PM
I agree and disagree with those who don't consider the HOB overflows to be safe, they aren't. HOWEVER, and for the record I too had major concerns about my Eshopps Overflow U-Tubes and losing the siphon, how did I overcome my fears? I made it 98% foolproof and siphon break proof by installing a Thoms Aqualifter and an airline nipple to each U-Tube (plastic cement and a drill bit), this way the aqualifter is constantly pulling water/air/bubbles etc out of the U-tube hereby maintaining the siphon, even after a power outage.

Why is it only 98% foolproof? Well the 2% margin of error is if the airlines become clogged or the Aqualifter decides to stop working (IE the perfect storm), I could live with those odds.

cougareyes
06/10/2016, 07:10 PM
I agree with mcgyvr, I'd do a hob skimmer and a brs reactor if I needed to add a carbon/gfo or other media.

sivart1210
06/13/2016, 09:23 PM
I've had this style overflow for over a year now and works amazing. Creates its own siphon if power goes out and haven't had any issues with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZytENJZtJw

dumpsta
06/13/2016, 10:37 PM
I've had a hob overflow on my freshwater for years and it never lost siphon without me doing something. One thing that did happen was that my filter sponge got clogged and my water level rose up to the top, but that can happen on a drilled tank as well. I also noticed that any air bubbles that manage to get into the tube just flow with the current and don't build up in the tube, similar to what gimpy said about current.

For materials
-a hob overflow or bulkhead connector (drilled)
-bilge pump hose
-a sump
-return pump
-hose
-sump return plastic swivel nozzle

most people turn an old fish tank into a sump. Look on the web for sump schematics and make sure your compartments can fit your protein skimmer and return pump.

Potatohead
06/14/2016, 12:27 AM
I use a hob overflow but I modified it with an emergency drain and turned it into a Herbie style. I also made my return chamber small enough that the tank won't overflow if it ever lost siphon... Now that it has been running for some time, I have had zero issues with it, it simply does not lose siphon without making it. I also put a filter sponge inside the overflow to stop noise but it also stops air bubbles from possibly getting into the tube... I clean it every couple days. For someone who can't drill a tank they are a viable option.

FamilyTank
06/16/2016, 06:36 PM
I had a 90 about 12-15 yrs ago. With a HOB for my wet-dry. Never a problem. Did a E-stop to check levels. All good. But won't set one up that way again.