PDA

View Full Version : Fallow Period Help

Jonvo324
06/08/2016, 09:17 AM
Hello again, I come with some bad news for my tank. After I decided not to quarantine my yellow longnose butterfly and it pasted away, I decided to start a quarantine tank, I bought a 40 and a 29 gallon at the petco sale. I waited for it to cycle but as I waited my fish in my display tank started displaying signs of sickness. This time it wasn't ich though, unlike my first disease outbreak. I'm not quite sure what it was but my fish had red rash looking things all over their body and wouldn't eat. After the quarantine tank cycled, I placed my fish in the 40 because it looked as if my black tang hybrid wasn't going to live any longer. That's when fish started dying off. It started with my clown pair, then my wrasses, and it slowly went to my larger fish. The last fish that died was my prized possession, my Moorish idol that has been going strong for over a year and it died because I made the mistake of not quarantining. The only fish to survive was the black tang hybrid (the sickest fish), a coral beauty angelfish, a marine betta and a green spotted puffer.

As this was all happening I decided I was going to "redo" my tank. Take everything out, clean it and start over. This time I wanted to quarantine everything, fish, corals, inverts basically anything wet. Right now the tank is empty, no water, but I was wondering if I add water in my tank will I need to go through a fallow period for ich?

Do I need a fallow period if my sand/rocks are dry or only if they're wet?

Also my quarantine procedure I was thinking about was

1- TTM (tank transfer method) for ich
2- Observation in 40 quarantine/treating flukes, velvet, brooklynella and uronema marinum. Is there anything else I would need to quarantine for? Also if you have the time what treatments for each of these would you recommend, I haven't read the disease forums yet, but I'm going to.

Thank you for reading and any help is welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tassod
06/08/2016, 10:02 AM
If you have already broken down the tank, no need for fallow period you just need to sterilize everything. I would fill it with freshwater and add some bleach and let it run through everything for a few days. As for the rock, i believe it will need a long period of time in the sun to completely dry out or you can bleach those also and acid wash them to start fresh. I would just replace the sand completely.

For fish, i will let other experts chime in on this, myself i use copper to treat for disease but it is not the choice for many.

Jonvo324
06/08/2016, 10:11 AM
If you have already broken down the tank, no need for fallow period you just need to sterilize everything. I would fill it with freshwater and add some bleach and let it run through everything for a few days. As for the rock, i believe it will need a long period of time in the sun to completely dry out or you can bleach those also and acid wash them to start fresh. I would just replace the sand completely.

For fish, i will let other experts chime in on this, myself i use copper to treat for disease but it is not the choice for many.

Thank you for your input. It's much appreciated! Is there a reason for replacing sand?

tassod
06/08/2016, 10:20 AM
Thank you for your input. It's much appreciated! Is there a reason for replacing sand?

Well i guess if you rinsed it out real well with freshwater and let it dry out in the sun completely you could re-use it but IMO it would be just easier to get new sand but its up to you.

Jonvo324
06/09/2016, 03:46 PM
Bump
Anyone else?

kmbyrnes
06/10/2016, 05:58 PM
Sorry for your losses.
Ditch the sand.
Rinse the rock in bleach and sun dry for at least 3 weeks.
Restart your tank.
QT everything going forward.
Thats what I did and never looked back.
My .02.

Reel North
06/26/2016, 08:50 PM
Sorry for your losses.
Ditch the sand.
Rinse the rock in bleach and sun dry for at least 3 weeks.
Restart your tank.
QT everything going forward.
Thats what I did and never looked back.
My .02.

That's what I just did too, except since I'm quarantining, I left my corals in the tank, and am leaving it fallow.

Sounds like you had velvet or something.

I'm using ick shield powder right now for 21 days.