PDA

View Full Version : QT issue

fernalfer
06/08/2016, 11:41 AM
Ok i have had my QT running no issues for almost 8 weeks. For some reason i had a little ammonia yesterday and added prime. Today the tank is so cloudy i can hardly see my fish. Do you think prime is the issue just tested 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.

scooter31707
06/08/2016, 12:17 PM
you might be having a bacterial bloom. what kind of filtration are you using, what size tank, and how many fish are in there. Also what and how much food are you feeding.

fernalfer
06/08/2016, 01:21 PM
you might be having a bacterial bloom. what kind of filtration are you using, what size tank, and how many fish are in there. Also what and how much food are you feeding.

Its an aquaclear 50 (rated for 200 gallon) it's a 20 gallon tank, and i have 1 lemon peel tang in it. Feeding flake food 2 times and a little strip of green algae every other day.

Again everything has been fine for the last 7-8 weeks. I dosed my 2nd round of prazipro about 8 days ago so don't think that is the issue. But 1 day after adding prime my tank is cloudy.

scooter31707
06/08/2016, 01:47 PM
If I am not mistaken, I think I read somewhere, Prazi-Pro may kill off some of the bacterial in the tank. This may have happen in your case.

Dmorty217
06/08/2016, 02:01 PM
If I am not mistaken, I think I read somewhere, Prazi-Pro may kill off some of the bacterial in the tank. This may have happen in your case.

Doesn't kill the bacteria but I have noticed that anywhere from 6-10 days after dosing prazipro or praziquantel that the tank will experience a bacterial bloom for whatever reason. Running a skimmer helps clear the tank but I'm currently having the same issue in my 75g QT.

fernalfer
06/08/2016, 02:31 PM
Doesn't kill the bacteria but I have noticed that anywhere from 6-10 days after dosing prazipro or praziquantel that the tank will experience a bacterial bloom for whatever reason. Running a skimmer helps clear the tank but I'm currently having the same issue in my 75g QT.

Well just did a 50% WC and added carbon. We will see how it goes. Fish acting the same prior to bloom so hopefully everything goes according to plan. After the WC it did clear up some but is still cloudy.

Dmorty217
06/08/2016, 03:57 PM
Well just did a 50% WC and added carbon. We will see how it goes. Fish acting the same prior to bloom so hopefully everything goes according to plan. After the WC it did clear up some but is still cloudy.

It will be and if it is bacterial carbon will have no effect on it. It will however remove the PP which in turn will/should help with the bacteria

krullshards
06/11/2016, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I always get bacterial blooms shortly after adding prazi. Maybe I just have more free floating bacterial spores in the air than others do, who knows?

From what I have read, praziquantel, the active ingredient in prazipro is hard to dissolve in water and so folks use alcohol to help it along.

Prazipro lists Oxybispropanol as an ingredient and lists that it is used as a solubilizing agent. That seems to be the carbon source that causes a bacterial bloom. I've read online that prazipro will cause bacterial blooms because of its carbon content. Here's an interesting thread about it as well: http://www.*********.com/threads/api-general-cure.195229/

Generally speaking the bacterial blooms are harmless to your fish, however, aerobic bacteria will quickly use up oxygen in your tank so just be sure to aerate heavily. Particularly if the fish look lethargic. A UV sterilizer could help clear up the bloom as well.