PDA

View Full Version : Classy move by Petco

brett559
06/08/2016, 03:29 PM
Saw these stickers on the saltwater tanks at my local Petco (was there buying some NLS pellets).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/10fm5f8hju06bc4/IMG_0837.JPG?dl=0

With the new Nemo movie coming out, a place like Petco could move a lot of 20 gallon tanks, sell a lot of clownfish and blue tangs. I thought this was a classy move by them.

Maybe that's the Foster/Smith rubbing off on them....

Greybeard
06/08/2016, 03:30 PM
Yup, good move.

StrangeDejavu
06/08/2016, 03:33 PM
Very happy to see they're being responsible about this and not giving in to the demand of the dollar.

bitwise
06/08/2016, 03:59 PM
I like it. Thanks for sharing

Fphipps
06/08/2016, 05:55 PM
They also have a sign that states the average cost of a 29 gallon saltwater aquarium costs about $600 to start up. Which is good on them as well. Make sure people (mostly ignorant parents) know what they are getting into and save the employee from wasting Their time explaining that to them. I worked at Petco for 6 years and I HATED when people would ask me "what do I need for a saltwater reed tank". I would start by telling the initial cost and most of the time they changed their mind and went with a freshwater tank. I would always recommend that if they have never owned a fish tank before, to start with a freshwater and get a feel for the hobby before they commit to a saltwater tank. Unless they came in with good questions proving to me that they have done their research and are genuinely interested.

kutcha
06/08/2016, 05:58 PM
this actually gives me a little bit of hope

mallard
06/08/2016, 06:08 PM
Good for them, really good to see big retailers step up with responsible fish keeping.

eshtog
06/08/2016, 07:43 PM
Awesome!

toothybugs
06/08/2016, 08:05 PM
Wow, of all the places I expected to regain my faith in humani... pet stores, this one really takes it. Very proud of the chain for this. I have seen this from a lot of local stores but never a chain as big as Petco. Maybe they're trying to win all of us over, whaddya think? ;)

SeattleReefer
06/08/2016, 10:47 PM
Wow, of all the places I expected to regain my faith in humani... pet stores, this one really takes it. Very proud of the chain for this. I have seen this from a lot of local stores but never a chain as big as Petco. Maybe they're trying to win all of us over, whaddya think? ;)

Big chains are a much bigger target than a small lfs, thus virtue signaling is far more important to a big chain like PETCO.

What is a bit surprising is that the source itself (Disney/Pixar) is silent on the issue and yet is not a target of the SJW's.

moondoggy4
06/08/2016, 10:53 PM
I think that most LFS should have a Nemo/Dory tank so the kids can see them.

BrandonFlorida
06/09/2016, 06:33 AM
They also have a sign that states the average cost of a 29 gallon saltwater aquarium costs about $600 to start up. Which is good on them as well. Make sure people (mostly ignorant parents) know what they are getting into and save the employee from wasting Their time explaining that to them. I worked at Petco for 6 years and I HATED when people would ask me "what do I need for a saltwater reed tank". I would start by telling the initial cost and most of the time they changed their mind and went with a freshwater tank. I would always recommend that if they have never owned a fish tank before, to start with a freshwater and get a feel for the hobby before they commit to a saltwater tank. Unless they came in with good questions proving to me that they have done their research and are genuinely interested.

My first tank was saltwater and I agree with you, research and research to know what your doing first. I read salt water for dummies and it helped me understand most of whats needed. I am happy to see petco value the life of fish and warn parents about dory and her needs..

C.Eymann
06/09/2016, 06:43 AM
This is very responsible of them and I am glad to see this. In highschool I worked in a LFS and it was right around the time when then Nemo movie came out, countless "moms" would come in and want a clowfish for their kids and a few times during a rush I forgot to ask right off the bat what kind setup they had, fortunately after bagging the fish their next question was something along the lines of "So how big of fish bowl does he need?"
Many times after I explained the type of setup they needed and priced it out many walked out the door with a Betta instead, however some decided to buy a nice setup, cycle it properly and became new reefkeepers, some of which I built good friendships with.

Positive thing about this movies release is it will put our hobby in the spotlight again and we should expect an influx of new reefers because of it which is always a good thing.

Kudos to Petco though

Mr.Tan
06/09/2016, 01:53 PM
very cool to see that they are doing that.

they should also add you need proof of your aquarium size to buy one :lmao:

kendrid
06/14/2016, 11:55 AM
My local LFS, Exotic Aquatics in Lake in the Hills IL is running this promotion:
http://i.imgur.com/66uykyv.png

Needless to say they are heading toward becoming a 1 star reviewed fish store really fast. It is disgusting what they are trying to push on naive customers.

civics14
06/14/2016, 01:28 PM
My local LFS, Exotic Aquatics in Lake in the Hills IL is running this promotion:
http://i.imgur.com/66uykyv.png

Needless to say they are heading toward becoming a 1 star reviewed fish store really fast. It is disgusting what they are trying to push on naive customers.

WOW!!! I can't believe they would promote a 30g for a hippo tang

kendrid
06/14/2016, 01:32 PM
WOW!!! I can't believe they would promote a 30g for a hippo tang

Or a 6 gallon for a clown. They should have only post the 30g with the clown. It is common to see biocubes with an anemone and pair of clowns.

carpcharacin
06/14/2016, 01:33 PM
I think that is awesome that they are posting stickers. They should do the same with goldfish and post stickers telling how big they truly get. i have seen 18 inch goldfish and i have 3 goldfish all over 12 inches.