PDA

View Full Version : BK DC 200 Overflowing (Sometimes)

Confuse
06/08/2016, 09:24 PM
So once every few months, my Double Cone 200 will all of a sudden overflow. I have checked the water level in my sump and it is always where it is supposed to be at (I forget how many inches). So despite of no water level changes, my skimmer overflows. But this happens on occasion and not regularly. What can be the most likely culprit if the variable of water level is eliminated?

slief
06/09/2016, 07:37 AM
So once every few months, my Double Cone 200 will all of a sudden overflow. I have checked the water level in my sump and it is always where it is supposed to be at (I forget how many inches). So despite of no water level changes, my skimmer overflows. But this happens on occasion and not regularly. What can be the most likely culprit if the variable of water level is eliminated?

Usually it would be the result of salt creep in the Venturi port on the pump as discussed in this pinned thread.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2573406

Pull the nozzle off, remove the Venturi lines and check for salt creep that would be blocking the ports. The nozzle on the RD3 is designed to be easily removed without having to take the pump out of the sump. It's held in place with an 0-ring. When the air flow is restrictured, the pump displaces the air with more water and that results in increased water level inside the skimmer. Other causes for that would be the use of epoxy, a bacterial bloom or something perishing in the tank but more often than not, salt creep would be the culprit. I remove my nozzle every couple months and clean it/remove the salt creep. I take the pump out every 3-4 months, take it apart and give it a good cleaning.

Confuse
06/13/2016, 12:18 PM
Ok. I just checked the nozzle this weekend and there were no obstructions. Been trying to think of reasons why it may randomly overflow, but haven't come up with anything yet.

Are there any other potential issues I could look into?

slief
06/13/2016, 12:34 PM
Ok. I just checked the nozzle this weekend and there were no obstructions. Been trying to think of reasons why it may randomly overflow, but haven't come up with anything yet.

Are there any other potential issues I could look into?

You're probably running it a bit too wet. What is the load in your system and what speed are you running the pump at? Have you cleaned the foam in the silencer at all?