PDA

View Full Version : feeding wennerae

hobbzz
06/09/2016, 11:38 AM
I've got a hitchhiker wennerae in a 120g that I'd like to keep but I have a few questions first. Would it be possible to keep it in a tank that large with 15 fish? I'm thinking it would be hard to feed if I couldnt get it trained to take silversides or similar directly from me. How often do they go after small 2"-3" fish? What can I feed it as far as live prey, and how often should I feed it? Any clams etc that I would add would get eaten by the fish quickly, which is why I ask about live food. Thanks in advance!

liverock
06/09/2016, 11:42 AM
Feed him raw shrimp....wennerae don't go after fish, especially when well fed...I keep them in little 6x6 inch cubes with fish...never an issue...

hobbzz
06/09/2016, 12:36 PM
Awesome, thanks Richard! So as long as I can find and reach its burrow, training to feed from a stick shouldn't be an issue? I wouldn't be able to just drop the shrimp in, the fish would get to it first. 2-3 times a week or every day?

liverock
06/09/2016, 01:45 PM
Awesome, thanks Richard! So as long as I can find and reach its burrow, training to feed from a stick shouldn't be an issue? I wouldn't be able to just drop the shrimp in, the fish would get to it first. 2-3 times a week or every day?

No need to train him...just drop a small piece of raw shrimp up by the front glass....and see what happens...LOL:spin3:

hobbzz
06/09/2016, 02:44 PM
Last night I dropped two raw clams into the tank (120g) and the fish annihilated them in less than a minute. I'm pretty sure I figured out where it's cave is though. Thanks!

liverock
06/09/2016, 06:06 PM
Good practice...raw, clean seafood is the best for the critters....hands down...more variety...the better...:fish2: