PDA

View Full Version : more on using ammonia

tmz
06/08/2016, 08:09 PM
I'm sharing my own personal experiences, I never post on anything that I have not personally experienced. Now that may or may not help someone. But it's alot better than the experts that just repeat folklore or something they read somewhere, with no practical experience to back it up. I know this method works and compared to every other tank that cycled the old fashion way, they matured the same way and there was no way to tell. It was just an easier, faster, and better way for me.

An account of your own experience is welcome. But you said the bacteria only need ammonia " the bacteria we are growing to support life needs one thing and one thing only, ammonia; it does not need phosphates" and that is false. It's simple bio chemistry ; not folklore. I and others have plenty of practical experience ,btw. Why would you imply otherwise?

tmz
06/08/2016, 08:16 PM
I'd add a tiny flake or two of food at most.

Sounds about right to me. The PO4 use by these bacteria is small compared to some others but still needed.

cougareyes
06/08/2016, 09:03 PM
Why would you imply otherwise? Because of contradicting statements you and others have made that are opposite to my experiences. Many times textbook offerings that may work sometimes or may have worked at one time or another; or folklore that has just been repeated so many times people think it's true. This post has gotten so ridiculously out of hand. Starting from the original post all this guy had to do was a water change to lower his ammonia, then stay on the course.

tmz
06/09/2016, 12:34 PM
I agree you are way out of line.

I have made no contradictory statements . I prefer to use food after cycling many tanks and have articulated the reasons. You prefer ammonia and offer false statements about the needs of the bacteria to support your one and only approach without any knowledge about what the bacteria actually do and need.

The OP asked if he needed to use ammonia; though it can work in some tanks ; it's not necessary , IME. My response was and is that I prefer food. The fact is ammonia gives the the bacteria energy and some nitrogen but does not offer all the nutrients they need; though in many applications , there may be enough of those in tanks with live rock and substrate.

bertoni
06/09/2016, 03:56 PM
I have moved this posts to a new thread to end the hijacking of the original poster's questions.