PDA

View Full Version : when growing Phytoplankton how often f/2 is needed?

enb141
06/10/2016, 03:08 PM
Hi, I'm just curious about how often do you need to use f/2 formula for growing Nannochloropsis oculata?

Michael Hoaster
06/11/2016, 07:35 AM
I'm guessing from the lack of other posts, none of us knows the answer to your question. What is f/2? Are you using a culture kit from Florida Aqua Farms? If so, the answer should be in the directions that came with it. My nannochloropsis kit didn't come with it, but I think I remember some kind of nutrient food for the fancier kits.

Maybe cast a wider net and post question on Google. Good luck!

MikeyAl
06/11/2016, 07:49 AM
Hi, I'm just curious about how often do you need to use f/2 formula for growing Nannochloropsis oculata?

Every time you split or add water you should add f/2. I took my original 2 liter and slit into 2x2 liters and of course added the f2. Then every time I bottled it, I added back water plus the fertilizer. Hope that helps.
Oh and if for any reason you are losing color add a few drops.
Pm me if you like with any questions. I had nanno going for 2 years before I stopped but am gonna start again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeyAl
06/11/2016, 07:51 AM
I'm guessing from the lack of other posts, none of us knows the answer to your question. What is f/2? Are you using a culture kit from Florida Aqua Farms? If so, the answer should be in the directions that came with it. My nannochloropsis kit didn't come with it, but I think I remember some kind of nutrient food for the fancier kits.

Maybe cast a wider net and post question on Google. Good luck!

F/2 is a fertilizer. Guillards.

enb141
06/11/2016, 10:53 AM
Every time you split or add water you should add f/2. I took my original 2 liter and slit into 2x2 liters and of course added the f2. Then every time I bottled it, I added back water plus the fertilizer. Hope that helps.
Oh and if for any reason you are losing color add a few drops.
Pm me if you like with any questions. I had nanno going for 2 years before I stopped but am gonna start again soon.

Thank you MikeyAI, you responded in the way I was looking for, so in other words once you harvest phytoplankton you will need to use f/2 fertilizer every time you split your bottles.

so one more question for how long the f/2 fertilizer can be refrigerated (not in the freezer) or is better to keep the fertilizer at room temperature?

I'm wondering to keep at room temperature because where I live there's no A/C so in the coldest days the temperature goes 50 F and in the warmest days the temperature goes up to 90 F

MikeyAl
06/11/2016, 01:26 PM
Thank you MikeyAI, you responded in the way I was looking for, so in other words once you harvest phytoplankton you will need to use f/2 fertilizer every time you split your bottles.

so one more question for how long the f/2 fertilizer can be refrigerated (not in the freezer) or is better to keep the fertilizer at room temperature?

I'm wondering to keep at room temperature because where I live there's no A/C so in the coldest days the temperature goes 50 F and in the warmest days the temperature goes up to 90 F

I've never kept refrigerated, but in my basement in a cool dark place. It usually starts to get cloudy in about 3 months. There are other types you can buy on eBay in 4 or 6 ounces as well.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201187935060

That way it won't go bad before you use it up.

enb141
06/11/2016, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the ebay one you mention.

MikeyAl
06/12/2016, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the ebay one you mention.

Sure thing. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.
Mike

enb141
06/15/2016, 01:53 AM
Sure thing. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.
Mike

Thanks again and probably I will, I'm just waiting to receive my f/2 to grow my own phyto so if it doesn't works as I expect I'll pm you for questions.

MikeyAl
06/16/2016, 06:11 PM
What is your setup? Lighting, etc.

Devaji108
06/28/2016, 12:08 AM
hey Mikey can you post your set up plz been thinking about trying to brew some.

what benefits are you seeing dosing your tank? or are you just feeding pods with it?

MikeyAl
07/01/2016, 04:30 PM
hey Mikey can you post your set up plz been thinking about trying to brew some.

what benefits are you seeing dosing your tank? or are you just feeding pods with it?

Sorry. Been out of the loop for awhile. Went fly fishing.
Use this link. I don't have mine up right now. Had to stop phyto-I got when we were doing construction last month- starting again in August.
I was mixing some with my fish food mixture- target feeding zoas. Didn't see some good growth
It is great for culturing pods and raising brine to adults (nice treat for my fish)

http://www.breedclownfish.com/culturing-plankton/

MikeyAl
07/01/2016, 04:33 PM
Basically 2 2-liter bottles, drilled tops to put in rigid airline tubing, had air running vigorously, shop light with 75 watt bulb (although when I use a grow light it really grew). Split in 2 once a week- refrigerated 1/2- other half added sea water (1.019) and f/2.

My lfs would give me frags and said it really helped his pod population

enb141
07/12/2016, 01:20 AM
What is your setup? Lighting, etc.

for my phytoplankton I'm using 1.5 litter and one 13 watt T5 light, but I'm having problems I'm not able to grow it, it just gets light green and lots of dust like particles at bottom.

I'm doing from some phyto I bought from coralreefing but maybe is too old and it doesn't want's to grow anymore.

this are the ones I'm using as start to harvest:

https://www.coralreefing.com/Live/green-phyto/
https://www.coralreefing.com/Live/gold-phyto/

I'm gonna buy some of those disks instead and try again to see if I'm able to rise some phyto.

MikeyAl
07/12/2016, 09:54 AM
for my phytoplankton I'm using 1.5 litter and one 13 watt T5 light, but I'm having problems I'm not able to grow it, it just gets light green and lots of dust like particles at bottom.

I'm doing from some phyto I bought from coralreefing but maybe is too old and it doesn't want's to grow anymore.

this are the ones I'm using as start to harvest:

https://www.coralreefing.com/Live/green-phyto/

https://www.coralreefing.com/Live/gold-phyto/

I'm gonna buy some of those disks instead and try again to see if I'm able to rise some phyto.

Is your culture getting lots of aeration. I would get some rigid airline and make sure it goes all the way to the bottom- and have your air pump running 24/7.
Needs really good aeration.

enb141
07/12/2016, 09:59 AM
Yes, yes and yes, I have the same aeration that my brine shrimp culture has (33% each bottle).

Both cultures of phyto have ridig airlines to the bottom and the air pump is running 24/7.

MikeyAl
07/12/2016, 12:05 PM
Yes, yes and yes, I have the same aeration that my brine shrimp culture has (33% each bottle).

Both cultures of phyto have ridig airlines to the bottom and the air pump is running 24/7.

Keep in mind that different phyto will require different salinity to grow effectively. Some can grow in fresh and some at higher salinity.

Also, if you got some sort of infection, it would kill your culture. I use alcohol swabs to clean all tubing and use a filter on the airline as well.

enb141
07/14/2016, 08:47 AM
Keep in mind that different phyto will require different salinity to grow effectively. Some can grow in fresh and some at higher salinity.

Also, if you got some sort of infection, it would kill your culture. I use alcohol swabs to clean all tubing and use a filter on the airline as well.

I was using brand new never used before rigid tubing and I made a tiny hole to the tap in the middle to let the rigid tubing get in there without compromising the whole phyto with the exterior.

I was using tap water that then I added about 1.019 of salinity.

MikeyAl
07/14/2016, 12:21 PM
I was using brand new never used before rigid tubing and I made a tiny hole to the tap in the middle to let the rigid tubing get in there without compromising the whole phyto with the exterior.

Yeah. Sounds like you covered the bases. It may have been a culture that was not viable or live.

MikeyAl
07/16/2016, 11:34 AM

And how much fertilizer?

enb141
07/17/2016, 01:01 AM
And how much fertilizer?

3 ml for 2 gallons of f/2

MikeyAl
07/17/2016, 07:49 AM
Try adding a bit more, give the bottle a good shake.
Also I have found a 60 watt cfl bulb or grow light in a shop light to be most effective.

enb141
07/17/2016, 11:20 AM
Try adding a bit more, give the bottle a good shake.
Also I have found a 60 watt cfl bulb or grow light in a shop light to be most effective.

I've done that too, shaked all days, also added more f/2 and nothing happened.

I just bought a new sample from ebay I hope this time it works.

MikeyAl
07/17/2016, 12:53 PM
I've done that too, shaked all days, also added more f/2 and nothing happened.

I just bought a new sample from ebay I hope this time it works.

Okay. Let me know. You appear to be doing everything correctly.
Another culture might be the way to go.