PDA

View Full Version : sargassum anemone

conjuay
06/11/2016, 06:45 AM
I can find very little info on this critter, and I collected some sargassum with loads of them - in a single week's time I see several have migrated to the glass. Anyone have any experience with these anemones? I expect I will have lots of them very shortly, and I'm not optimistic that they will be happy staying just in the 'fuge.

Please don't turn this into a "That's why you run a quarantine tank" thread. Pandora has already left the box so that is a mute point.
But thanks in advance for any actual first hand observations and / or experience.

Michael Hoaster
06/11/2016, 07:17 AM
I've never heard of them. Post a pic?

So, you're putting sargasssum in your refugium? I would guess an anemone associated with sargassum would like very bright light, and consume zooplankton. I would bet that you get quite the assortment of hitchhikers in sargassum.

I love unplanned hitchhikers. It's free biodiversity! Occasionally, you get something that doesn't work out so well though, like aiptasias.

Baja Georgia-hilarious! Oh, Pandora was never in the box, and I think you mean moot point.

conjuay
06/12/2016, 09:33 AM
hard to get a good picture, they are on the glass. I'm trying to figure out how invasive they are, how large they get, how aggressive,etc.

conjuay
06/12/2016, 09:42 AM
I guess I should have posted this in "Anemones and Clown fish" if a moderator could move this there, I'd appreciate it.