PDA

View Full Version : Natural Light?

Lisha
06/11/2016, 09:44 AM
I have a 75g saltwater tank with 4 fish and a couple of soft easy to care for corals (mushroom, zoa). The tank sits in front of a window. I want to figure out how to run my lights while including the natural sunlight. I don't have a timer on my lights, so our usual procedure is this: wake up at 5:30 AM and turn the blue lights on. I leave for work at 7, so I turn the white/blue lights on and feed them prior to leaving. Leave the whites/blues on until 7 PM, then blue only till 9 PM, then off for the rest of the night. I have noticed more algae with having the whites on all day.
Can I turn the whites off during the day and use natural sunlight instead? I am in Florida and there are no trees in front of the window, so plenty of sun comes in. The temperature stays put as we keep our house cool. I would still turn blues on in the morning and evening. Would this work?

C.Eymann
06/11/2016, 10:24 AM
Might want to look into if the window is uv treated most home windows have a uva/ uvb treatment on them. Some gets through but ideally though replace it with one that is not treated.

Many have had great success by incorporating sunlight into the reef lighting, OGs like Mike Paletta swear by it.