PDA

View Full Version : Glass/Acrylic Hybrid Tank

Aquius
06/11/2016, 11:01 AM
Hi All,

I have been lurking here for a while and have learned quite a bit. The amount of knowledge and willingness to help is greatly appreciated!!!

Anyway, I have a question about tank materials... IE, the ever present debate regarding acrylic vs glass. I have seen my share of both and really love aspects of each. Acrylic is awesome for clarity and structural integrity/weight, whereas glass is much more abrasion resistant. My question is what about combining the best of both for high end tanks?

What I am thinking is something along the lines of a cell phone screen protector. I am not saying gorilla glass is necessary, but simply using a one or two millimeter low iron glass cladding on both sides of cell cast acrylic would GREATLY increase the scratch resistance of a tank that is structurally made of acrylic. Best of both worlds... The basic technology already exists in "bulletproof" glass and I am thinking it might not be much of a stretch to use the same techniques in our hobby.

There would be downsides, of course. Cost would go up, as would "manufacturability." But for high end tanks, maybe..?

Steve

Timfish
06/11/2016, 03:09 PM
Laminating is certainly not a problem, look at auto glass for example. I'm guessing since I have not seen any glass/acrylic laminate in all the years I've been keeping tanks that between different expansion coefficients and manufacturing costs it's just not economically feasible to laminate glass/acrylic for aquariums.