PDA

View Full Version : Browning Acros

ShesEasy
06/11/2016, 05:48 PM
Plain and simple, what causes it?

xanthurum
06/11/2016, 07:18 PM
Anything that the coral doesn't like. Water parameters that change, lighting change, flow changes, pests that irritate it. Lots of things

ShesEasy
06/11/2016, 08:00 PM
Well that's broad lol

SkullV
06/11/2016, 08:06 PM
Well that's broad lol

It's a broad question. Definitely not plain and simple as you indicated in the OP.

Finland
06/11/2016, 09:33 PM
In most cases, if a colorful coral starts to brown out, it is caused from too high nutrients, poor water quality, or poor lighting. Stress from being moved around, pests,unstable water parameters, etc can also cause corals to brown out(lose there color).

ShesEasy
06/11/2016, 09:45 PM
well my water is changed weekly at a rate of 20% and I make sure that the change water matches the tank waterin terms of the majors

my sal is 1.025
alk 7.5
cal 440
mag 1300
ph 7.9 at night and 8.2-8.3 dring the day

my flow on 180g tank is two mp 40s

and my lights are a 3 radions at 100% raised 1' from the surface and two evergrows on 40% and blue only

nitrates are undetectable on a salifert test

ShesEasy
06/11/2016, 09:47 PM
also none have been moved around and I have no noticeable pests

SkullV
06/11/2016, 09:52 PM
well my water is changed weekly at a rate of 20% and I make sure that the change water matches the tank waterin terms of the majors

my sal is 1.025
alk 7.5
cal 440
mag 1300
ph 7.9 at night and 8.2-8.3 dring the day

my flow on 180g tank is two mp 40s

and my lights are a 3 radions at 100% raised 1' from the surface and two evergrows on 40% and blue only

nitrates are undetectable on a salifert test

Flow is going to be severely lacking with only 2 MP40s on a 180 (for SPS). Possibly a lighting issue as well. Even at 100% on all channels the lighting you are using may not be sufficient for that tank.

Finland
06/11/2016, 09:53 PM
what is phosphates at?

ShesEasy
06/11/2016, 09:58 PM
Flow is going to be severely lacking with only 2 MP40s on a 180 (for SPS). Possibly a lighting issue as well. Even at 100% on all channels the lighting you are using may not be sufficient for that tank.

I ran the three for a year now and have not had an issue till last week or two

ShesEasy
06/11/2016, 09:59 PM
what is phosphates at?

couldn't tell you tester died (hanna) couple months ago but I change my gfo monthly and have never had an isse with that over a year

Finland
06/11/2016, 10:01 PM

I agree the flow could be bumped up for an sps tank, but not so sure this would cause browned out corals. With 3 radions at 100percent and 2 evergrows, I would think that would be plenty of light, unless sps were placed off to the side.

Finland
06/11/2016, 10:07 PM
couldn't tell you tester died (hanna) couple months ago but I change my gfo monthly and have never had an isse with that over a year

You might want to test for that. High phosphates will cause corals to brown out. How did you check for pests. I had redbugs cause some corals to lose color and basically look like crap. I never knew I had them until I used a magnifying glass. Just throwing out some ideas.
Oh yeah, double check salinity using a calibrated refractometer. I ran into that issue a few years back. I bought new calibration fluid and found out I was way off with the old calibration fluid.

ShesEasy
06/11/2016, 10:14 PM
You might want to test for that. High phosphates will cause corals to brown out. How did you check for pests. I had redbugs cause some corals to lose color and basically look like crap. I never knew I had them until I used a magnifying glass. Just throwing out some ideas.
Oh yeah, double check salinity using a calibrated refractometer. I ran into that issue a few years back. I bought new calibration fluid and found out I was way off with the old calibration fluid.

I will try that ill have to order a new tester here, bugs I check closely for occasionaly as well aspecialy on new frags, but I havnt seen anything, and salinity, I have a refractor that gets calibratied via 0tds water as a base, and I keep it calibrated and infact I just bought a new one today and it matches to my old one so where good there

outssider
06/12/2016, 04:00 PM
most refractometers will be off when calibrated with ro water. Always calibrate in the range that you intend to test at. calibrate before every use because some refractometers are very temperature sensitive despite being ATC.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua-craft-refractometer-calibration-fluid.html