PDA

View Full Version : Looking to add fish! Suggestions please!

KyleB
06/11/2016, 11:19 PM
Hello everyone that helps. I have a 60 gal tank that has been up for about a year now. It's a 60 long. I am looking to start adding more fish to it. Currently I have 2 clown fish who basically stay within a foot or two of their anemone. Unless it's feeding time. I will take any suggestions but I definatly want to make sure they get along with my clowns. I have some corals a well so they would Need to be friendly to them as well.

I am wanting mainly smaller to medium fish that school or something along those lines. I would like to be able to just look at the tank and see life without having to point it out like I currently do with only my two clowns in a 60.
Thanks!

Taahirs
06/11/2016, 11:42 PM
Fairy wrasses are nice. Firefish too.

sepulvd
06/11/2016, 11:46 PM
I have a 60g as well and I added a bicolor blenny and 2 talbot damsels

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OrQidz
06/11/2016, 11:50 PM
Cardinalfish? They swim around in a group.

farfromsea
06/12/2016, 01:10 AM
Flasher wrasse harem (M+2F)

Dkuhlmann
06/12/2016, 04:17 AM
Midas blenny, and any of the dwarf angelfish. Be cautioned though to add an angelfish last due to they can be pretty aggressive if you add fish after them.

Also check out the Yellow Candy hogfish I love mine and he's always out and about with the Midas Blenny. My McCosker's wrasse swims about all day as well as does my Royal Gramma.

You can also keep several different male flasher wrasses and have a constant show of them flashing. This is what I'd do if going a new tank. Other nice fish are the pigmy wrasses which aren't really wrasses. You have many options just ask before getting anything as they all can have issues. It's ok if you're ready for them.

So here's my list in my 40b with little aggression now that everyone is used to each other :D

Cherub Angel
Pair Ocellaris Mocha clowns
Yellow Candy hogfish
McCosker's wrasse
Royal Gramma
Midas Blenny

If you choose the right fish you should have no trouble with 8-10 fish in your tank. IMO and IME. Just takes good nutrient export and water change schedule. You need to stick to the schedule too. I've not been and my corals are suffering for it. I will get back on a 20% WC every week for 2-3 weeks until numbers are under control and then a 10% weekly as a regular basis. My health issues have gotten in the way :(

KyleB
06/12/2016, 07:10 AM
Thanks!

Sk8r
06/12/2016, 08:38 AM
Gobies get along with each other, and with blennies.
Some blennies get along with other blennies. The Midas would be a great choice. Look for adult sizes (dealers should state it) of 3" and under.

billdogg
06/12/2016, 02:20 PM
+1 to all of the above, with the exception of Damsels. You already have clowns and the damsels are in the same family. IMO, you will be asking for troubles by adding them to your system.

If you don't have a screen (or other) top, you will want one before you add much more, especially the wrasses.

crabbydan
06/12/2016, 02:33 PM
Love the yellow candy hogfish but it can take out shrimp.

crabbydan
06/12/2016, 02:37 PM
I would go royal gramma or an algae Bennie. I love my starry blenny beautiful personality and cleans all my extra rock and back wall algae. I also like a dwarf angel but I am deciding on which one myself.

RynoParsons
06/12/2016, 02:49 PM
canary blenny is also cool and maybe a diamond sandsifting goby. flasher wrasses are cool. also like a lubocks (spelling) flasher. lots of people dont like them but i like bangai cardinals also. not very active but you will see them. i had luck with blue green chromis also. they are cheao and i like them. but lots of people lose them one by one

BigEZ77
06/12/2016, 02:55 PM
+1 to all of the above, with the exception of Damsels. You already have clowns and the damsels are in the same family. IMO, you will be asking for troubles by adding them to your system.

I was under the impression that it's good that they're of the same family because they can read each others signals and also since the clowns will keep the damsel in check.

I would definitely look at a Dwarf Angel if you're not too worried about your LPS corals. I opted against one because I am rather attached to them, but it was a hard decision to make.

billdogg
06/12/2016, 03:28 PM
I was under the impression that it's good that they're of the same family because they can read each others signals and also since the clowns will keep the damsel in check.

I would definitely look at a Dwarf Angel if you're not too worried about your LPS corals. I opted against one because I am rather attached to them, but it was a hard decision to make.

I think you have it just backwards, especially in a tank of that size. Both Damsels and Clowns can be (are) quite territorial and regardless of where those clowns currently hang out, I'm willing to bet that they think the whole tank is theirs.

Diana A
06/12/2016, 03:35 PM
read this thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2260000&highlight=regret

BigEZ77
06/12/2016, 04:54 PM
I think you have it just backwards, especially in a tank of that size. Both Damsels and Clowns can be (are) quite territorial and regardless of where those clowns currently hang out, I'm willing to bet that they think the whole tank is theirs.

Just going off a very experienced members opinion on this forum. The main reason I decided to place a yellow tail in my tank with ocellaris clowns.

sepulvd
06/12/2016, 08:49 PM
I have damsels and maroon. Clown together. No problems http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160613/ba9ebc1737b89df842379f67df10e86a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dkuhlmann
06/14/2016, 04:44 AM
I'd like to add that my Cherub angel is good around corals of different types. When I first got him he would nip at a few here and there but most of that stopped with the exception of pocillipora's. He loves them, they're his crack :D

He is really getting to be a good choice since he's maturing. He still is boss of the tank, until my Mocha female realizes that she is bigger than he is :D.