PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide on treatment

fernalfer
06/13/2016, 06:07 AM
Ok here is my situation. I have a new 120 that has been fishless and cycled for 1 month and a half ready to go. I have decided that this time around i'm going to do things right and QT all fish. I bought my first fish a Lemon Peel tang, probably not the best first fish to put in tank but he looked healthy, great color, and ate like a pig at the LFS.

He has been in a 20 gallon for 4 weeks now. First week or so i observed and let him settle in. Then i did 2 rounds of prazipro. 1st round dosed left for 6 days and did a 25% WC. Then dosed a second Round and just left it in there. He has showed no signs of anything until yesterday i noticed him every once in awhile getting almost completely sideways and rubbing up against the PVC pipe in the tank. And doing a slight twitch every now and then. This only lasted for about a half an hour. This morning i watched him for about a half hour while feeding and he didn't display any twitching or scratching.

With that said i have Cupramine ready to go with the Seachem Copper test kit but i'm hesitant because i'm afraid this may harm my fish. The scratching alone makes me feel i should be treating for ICK regardless whether he has it or not because i'd rather be safe then sorry.

How many days and how slow should i ramp the cupramine up to the recommended 0.5 level of copper? Also how long does prime stay in the water? i added a little prime 2 days ago and know that PRIME and CUPRAMINE are a no no together.

If i can convince the wife to let me buy the second pieces of equipment to do TTM i have a few questions:

1. The tang has been in the 20 Gallon QT for 4 weeks so if i transfer him to a second tank is that considered the 1st transfer? or do i put him in the newly setup tank and when i transfer him back that's the first transfer?

2. Because he has been in a 20 gallon for 4 weeks. I will be able to get a couple ten gallons. Will reducing the size of the tank he is used to being in stress him out and make this whole method go down the drain as well?

Trying to get this last part of treatment out of the way but want to be successful. He has been so healthy thus far would hate to lose him to stress.

fernalfer
06/13/2016, 07:17 AM
fish seems to know be breathing heavily. Tried taking a video to show but the glare made it come out bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKbR15jbVuA

ThRoewer
06/13/2016, 10:18 AM
It's hard to see any details because you took the video with your phone vertical - try to take one with the phone in horizontal position so that it doesn't get pillowboxed.

As for the tang, from the description and what can be seen in the video it could be Brooklynella or Amyloodinium. With a tang I would assume the latter. Treatment would be with NLS Ick-Shield Powder (Amazon.com).

Did you give that fish a formalin bath before you put it into the QT?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

fernalfer
06/13/2016, 12:08 PM
It's hard to see any details because you took the video with your phone vertical - try to take one with the phone in horizontal position so that it doesn't get pillowboxed.

As for the tang, from the description and what can be seen in the video it could be Brooklynella or Amyloodinium. With a tang I would assume the latter. Treatment would be with NLS Ick-Shield Powder (Amazon.com).

Did you give that fish a formalin bath before you put it into the QT?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcht6VI-ccA

this is a little better. at the 50 second mark you can see the heavy breathing better.

ThRoewer
06/13/2016, 01:26 PM
Looks like a gill infection, which would fit velvet.
With ich you should see the typical white spots on the fins and body.

Another possibility for rapid breathing could be water quality issues. Ammonia and nitrite (not nitrate) would be the things to test for.

In any case I would get ick-shield powder right away. If your LFS doesn't have it order it with one day shipping from Amazon.

I would also do a precautionary full water change (use water from the DT) and reduce the salinity to 1.016.
When doing the water change you might also want to sterilize the tank and equipment with bleach to kill all eventually present cysts.

You may also give the fish a freshwater bath to dislodge as many parasites as possible.