PDA

View Full Version : sooo certain corals, high much light and how much flow

codydemmel4
06/14/2016, 07:23 PM
soo in SPS tanks, how do you guys position your frags?

Like for acros do you do it for each specific one or do you have a general thing like an acro needs high flow and high light.

I am wondering because recently I bought around 30 frags and I am trying to figure out the best positions to place them.

For example, like does birdsnest need high light and med flow?
Does acros need high light and high flow?

What is a good thumbprint to go by, the one problem about this thread is most of the acros and other pictures are either top down pictures or close ups of the corals so I cannot see where they are in comparison to the lights or powerheads.

I greatly appreciate any insight on this from the pros :) or if there is a good sight that goes over the specifics for each type of coral and etc.

jbvdhp
06/15/2016, 01:31 AM
In general acros like high flow, lighting could vary depending on species. Don't be committed to permanently affixing a particular frag to a position in your tank. You might find what you think likes high light and flow, really doesn't, so be prepared to move it. It helps to know the previous tank it came from (i.e. How the previous reefer had it).

Sent using your IP address

karimwassef
06/15/2016, 01:42 AM
I usually frag into multiple pieces and position them in different locations to learn what a coral likes...

in my experience, birdsnest needs the highest flow and the highest light. Poccis and Stylos also like high flow and high light but will tolerate less. Acros are all over the place and tend to be very picky. Montis are generally tolerant of many conditions, but some can be sensitive to strong light.

Also, change is a big variable. A frag may eventually prefer high flow and light, but if it had been kept is low flow, low light, it will suffer if the change is abrupt. Give them time to adjust.

Here's the cardinal rule - no coral ever died from too little light for a short time, but a coral can easily die in 24hrs with too much light. So start low and move up.

codydemmel4
06/15/2016, 05:03 AM
thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate the help :)