PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion?

Finland
06/14/2016, 07:26 PM
A few days ago, I had my 6 inch naso tang die. 2 days before, it was eating great, swimming normally. Next day he wouldn't eat and appeared to be breathing pretty fast. The next day, I found him dead. There was no blemishes, spots or frayed fins. He looked perfectly fat and healthy. . Now tonight my queen angel won't eat. Physically, he looks very healthy, except appears to be breathing fast. There is no flashing or scratching. I am stumped as how to proceed. I really don't want to lose another fish. The angel was very actively feeding yesterday and now will not eat and stays in the rock. I did a full battery of tests on the water and everything is fine. All other fish and corals appear to be doing good, except my purple tang recently had a few tiny white spots appear on his sides(ich?). Any thoughts or suggestions? I did do a fresh water dip on the deceased tang, looking for gill flukes. I didn't see anything come off. Other fish I have are an emperor angel, regal angel, hippo tang, powder brown tang, purple tang, yellow tang, clownfish, lawnmower blenny, and sandsifting goby. All appear healthy .

ThRoewer
06/14/2016, 09:12 PM
Sounds like it could be velvet. Did you add anything lately?

Do you have corals or anemones in the tank?
If it is a FOWLR you could give Chloroquine a shot.
Though if you can catch all fish it would be better to treat in a hospital tank.

Finland
06/15/2016, 05:23 AM
Yes, there are corals in the tank. I added a powder brown 3 weeks ago, but it went through ttm and prazi and qt for a few weeks before being added to display. Does velvet show any physical symptoms? There was none on the Naso that I could see. It will be quite the job, but I may end up trying to get the fish out and into a qt tank.
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/Finland3/1_zpsycaf6gu7.jpg

scooter31707
06/15/2016, 07:09 AM
I guessing velvet too. Have you tested for ammonia lately?

ThRoewer
06/15/2016, 10:54 AM
TTM and Prazi do nothing against velvet.
Velvet usually infects the gills first and especially larger fish will die before the infection spreads to the skin.
Timeline and symptoms are consistent with velvet.
You need to start treatment with Chloroquine or copper right away or you will lose more fish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jbvdhp
06/15/2016, 11:16 AM
Yes, there are corals in the tank. I added a powder brown 3 weeks ago, but it went through ttm and prazi and qt for a few weeks before being added to display. Does velvet show any physical symptoms? There was none on the Naso that I could see. It will be quite the job, but I may end up trying to get the fish out and into a qt tank.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/Finland3/1_zpsycaf6gu7.jpg

Nice tank.

Is the powder brown still alive? I'd assume it would be dead too if it was velvet.

Sent using your IP address

ThRoewer
06/15/2016, 11:56 AM
He could have enough immunity to not get sick, but still be infectious.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Finland
06/15/2016, 05:33 PM
I guessing velvet too. Have you tested for ammonia lately?
Yeah, That was tested. No ammonia

Finland
06/15/2016, 05:34 PM
Nice tank.

Is the powder brown still alive? I'd assume it would be dead too if it was velvet.

Sent using your IP address
Powder brown is doing good. Eating good and actively swimming. Queen angel still not eating, though

Finland
06/15/2016, 05:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try to get the fish out and treat with cp. This will be quite the chore getting the fish out. If it is velvet, how long will I need to keep the tank fallow. I have quite a few inverts(snails, crabs, and corals), can they be a carrier?

ThRoewer
06/15/2016, 06:02 PM
6 weeks will be enough. With velvet the encysment/division stage period is short (max a week), but the infectious dinoflagellates can live for up to 30 days without a host. The extra week is for added security.

Finland
06/15/2016, 06:10 PM
Thanks

tylersarah
06/16/2016, 12:03 PM
Are you located in SE WI? I have some CP I can share

Finland
06/16/2016, 08:12 PM
Are you located in SE WI? I have some CP I can share

Thanks for the offer, but I am in Wausau. Fortunately, I already have cp. On a good note, the queen angel started eating today. This weekend I plan on pulling the fish and putting them in qt. Too bad my job interferes with my hobby. :D

tylersarah
06/17/2016, 05:31 AM
Alright, good luck! When catching fish I find it easiest to train them to be comfortable around a net by introducing a net during feeding and then when you're ready, actually catch one (usually ends up being a couple at a time)