PDA

View Full Version : Red mangrove pH tolerance

Austrarhyncus
06/15/2016, 08:05 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking on setting up my first saltwater tank and I'm planning to put in a red mangrove propagule. I was wondering what pH levels they can tolerate, so I can decide what other tank inhabitants to put in.

Thanks

jraker
06/15/2016, 02:22 PM
Just your regular reef tank pH: 8-8.4. I wouldn't be as worried about pH as other factors such as substrate, lighting, and more important levels like alkalinity.

Austrarhyncus
06/16/2016, 07:22 AM
Thanks, can you provide me some details about the aforementioned factors?

jraker
06/16/2016, 08:37 PM
Sure, regular reef tank parameters apply to mangroves (Alk: 7-9 range, Cal: ~400, etc.), as for substrate, they seem to do better in fine or muddy substrates. As far as lighting goes, you need to consider how high your lights will be to compensate for upwards growth. Mangroves will do fine in a wide range of lighting, so that isn't something you have to worry about too much, just how high you are placing your lights. Additionally, you should spray the mangrove leaves with fresh water daily to rid them of salt crystals.

I don't know too much about mangroves offhand, because I have never kept them before. This article (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/ac/feature/index.php) may provide a little more information than what I have to offer.

Austrarhyncus
06/20/2016, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the info, your help is appreciated.