PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! D:

Mrvn
06/15/2016, 09:41 AM
Hi everyone!!

A couple of months ago I setup my first reef tank, a 30 gallon tank for which I used caribsea live sand, and caribsea live rock (which completely dry rock). Last week I decided to upgrade my tank since I want to keep tangs, so I started to move my previous rocks and sand to my new tank, I also bough more dry rock and some new caribsea live sand for the new tank. Since I wasn't planning on adding my old fish to the new tank for a couple of days, I also decided to mix my salt in the new tank So I filled half way my tank and I poured my salt and I left it over night. This morning went to check on the tank I found two "roach looking bugs" dead which after some research I think are isopods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n_aVD6vAys
They looked like that one from the video. Does anyone know how to kill them? or how I got them into my tank? since everything was dry or bagged :(

d2mini
06/15/2016, 09:47 AM
Hi Mrvn,

First, it's usually not a good idea to move sand. Your tank was only a few months old, but still... sand can quickly trap a lot of gunk and when that gunk gets disturbed it can crash a tank.
It's usually recommended to get new sand or thoroughly clean the old sand before putting in the tank.

Second, when you have rock and sand in the tank, it's not a good idea to mix your water in the tank.
A lot of it can just fall and settle in the sand and rocks.

Your pods probably came over in your sand and rock from the old tank.
Pods are a good thing to have.

Mrvn
06/15/2016, 10:00 AM
They didn't look like pods, they were like 1/2 inch long. I panicked since I read that there are Isopods that are bad for the fish.

pyithar
06/15/2016, 10:51 AM
the one from the video looks like munnid isopod to me. they're harmless and good for the tank.

toothybugs
06/15/2016, 10:56 AM
I also think you're okay. There are a few strains of pods out there that are bigger, almost like mysis, that are perfectly safe for your tank. A variety of different bugs is a good thing.

Sugar Magnolia
06/15/2016, 11:00 AM
the one from the video looks like munnid isopod to me. they're harmless and good for the tank.

Yes, the larger one in the video is a munnid isopod and the smaller one is a copepod. Both are highly beneficial.