PDA

View Full Version : What to do about sticking items in and out of a tank during ich/brook/etc treatment

Newms118
06/15/2016, 08:33 PM
So I'm treating a chromis for uronema using NLS ich shield powder, and for various reasons my biological filter hasnt been fully established. So I do my best to fish out leftover food thats not eaten, or remove poop thats just lying around. My question is, if your in the middle of a treatment, and you keep using a net, are you reinfecting the tank each time you put the net back in the water? Do people use a net cleaning solution each and every time the net is put in tank water and then taken out? What about if you are rinsing the net with tap water, is this sufficient to remove bugs if the net is rinsed and then thoroughly dried (i.e., pat dried, then left out in the air for at least 12 hours).

What about pumps/heaters/buckets used for making saltwater? Essentially Im just really paranoid at this point.

ThRoewer
06/15/2016, 08:50 PM
If it is something simple heat resistant as a net I would just stick it into a cup with hot water (= close to boiling).

Newms118
06/15/2016, 09:09 PM
If it is something simple heat resistant as a net I would just stick it into a cup with hot water (= close to boiling).

Nice idea, seems more reasonable then using a cleaning solution every day.

kmbyrnes
06/17/2016, 05:23 AM
I used a set of dedicated siphon tubes to keep tanks clean during ttm and qt. Marked so there is no cross contamination and placed outside to air dry when not in use. At this time of year here, any microbes will either dessicate of fry in just a few hours.