PDA

View Full Version : New coral additions and fish disease

kenith
06/15/2016, 10:39 PM
I understand that coral tissue do not host encysted ich. I don't plan on buying colonies, rather I'll do frags and add them after dipping and quarantining. How concerned are you guys in regards to fish disease being brought in on corals? What steps do you take to keep diseases out at 100% rate?

jbvdhp
06/16/2016, 12:50 AM
Hey Ken there's always a possibility they can encyst onto a plug or a rock they're attached to. It's good practice to take the coral off, in which I have done and havent done. That said, I have bought some frags of Acros and Zoas from two tanks with suspected ich.

To be sure, you'd have to QT the coral for 76 days, in which some do.

Sent using your IP address

ThRoewer
06/16/2016, 02:13 AM
Ich would be my least concern.
Velvet is a much bigger danger.
The good news is that it only encysts for about a week. The bad news is that it can stay alive in the water without a host for about a month.

Though, the likelihood of ich or velvet hitching a ride depends on where the corals came from.
From a tank with visibly sick fish I wouldn't buy anything (or quarantine it like crazy - better leave it)
From a tank with a known ich infection but asymptomatic fish it may be a good idea to have the store cut off the frag plugs. The risk is actually not too great, though I would change the water at least twice after dipping and maybe also give it a freshwater rinse to wash away any free stages that may hitched a ride.

ThRoewer
06/16/2016, 02:16 AM
... To be sure, you'd have to QT the coral for 76 days, ...

I may as well just toss them into a bucket with bleach since I have no QT in which corals would have even the slightest chance of survival.

scooter31707
06/16/2016, 07:12 AM
If I order coral from a online vendor, I quarantine for 72 days. My LFS keeps their corals in tanks by themselves so I just dip them in Revive or Bayer and put them into my DT.

jbvdhp
06/16/2016, 08:39 AM
I may as well just toss them into a bucket with bleach since I have no QT in which corals would have even the slightest chance of survival.

It's something I don't practice myself, I know people who do, but it seems suggested here for the super particular freaks. :)

Sent using your IP address

ThRoewer
06/16/2016, 10:00 AM
If I order coral from a online vendor, I quarantine for 72 days. My LFS keeps their corals in tanks by themselves so I just dip them in Revive or Bayer and put them into my DT.
I wish all stores would stop the nonsense of putting fish into their frag tanks and invert systems. It just makes everything so much harder if you have to quarantine every little bit that goes into your tank...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2000se
06/16/2016, 12:38 PM
I wish all stores would stop the nonsense of putting fish into their frag tanks and invert systems. It just makes everything so much harder if you have to quarantine every little bit that goes into your tank...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

^^This. Jeez