PDA

View Full Version : Late rock

Nakie31
06/17/2016, 03:28 AM
Hello R/C my question is I wasn't it add some more rock it's dead rock and I wanted to know if I add this rock will it spike my levels? My tank is 2 months old and I have finished cycling and all my levels are good, I have no fish or inverts. in the tank yet so even if it dose spike I wouldn't hurt anything will it ?

200 gal.
Nitrite-0
Nitrate - 5.0
Ammonia-0
Ph- 8.2

PS: By the way is my tank ready for coral if not what should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carrots
06/17/2016, 04:21 AM
No, it will not be a problem unless it is dirty and has a lot of live or dead organisms on it. Best to soak it in a bucket of water for a day and then blast it with a hose before putting it into your tank. Crickets and other live critters like to hide in the holes of dry rock. As they decompose in your tank it could cause a rise of ammonia in a small tank. With nothing alive except for bacteria, no harm done with a little spike. Too soon for coral IMO. Get some life other than corals going before adding them. You will have better success with corals in an aged tank.

Nakie31
06/17/2016, 05:06 AM
Ok thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooter31707
06/17/2016, 07:56 AM
I usually put the rock into a Brute container with a heater, powerhead, and fresh saltwater for awhile to cycle. I do this to avoid the spike and to see if it is leaching any phosphates. Usually around a month and no detected ammonia I will place in rocks into the DT.