PDA

View Full Version : Hate hermit crabs

Fish doctor
06/17/2016, 05:24 AM
I wish I didn't have them in my tank. I bought a bulk order of snails for my tank. After I put them in I noticed several of them were crabs. I hate them because they walk over my coarls. I wish I could get them out. Anyone else have a problem with them?

Maxxingout
06/17/2016, 05:46 AM
You don't like them because they walk all over your corals? Have a coke and a smile and enjoy your nature in a box.

Fish doctor
06/17/2016, 06:28 AM
Yes I know they are doing what hermit crabs do. Smh it just drives me crazy when the just sit on one and it closes up. Like you said it's nature in a box.

scooter31707
06/17/2016, 08:05 AM
Your corals will be fine. Just relax and enjoy your tank.

bigfruits
06/17/2016, 08:22 AM
cant you reach in and grab them? they are pretty slow moving...

I don't care for them because they kill snails. ive good luck with Halloween hermits though.

mcgyvr
06/17/2016, 10:23 AM
Crabs are good sometimes and annoying the next..
Good when they are eating algae,etc...
Annoying when they are eating your snails..

My crabs are like a gang.. They move around the tank together and are never more than a few inches away from each other.. Its kind of creepy..

lespaul339
06/17/2016, 10:29 AM
Crabs are coral food thieves and murderers of snails, but I love having them in my tank. They are entertaining, plus they are a good part of the clean up crew in my opinion. I look at my cleanup crew as disposable. I accept that I will have to replace snails lost to crabs every so often. Doesn't mean I don't value my snails, but it's all part of the life cycle of the ocean and our reef tanks.

Reef Frog
06/17/2016, 10:44 AM
It's said they eat algae & other undesirable stuff. I used to watch them with a magnifying glass very closely when I had them. They picked at the algae but I could never confirm they were eating it. It seemed they were eating something else on it; maybe small inverts, eggs or bio film.