PDA

View Full Version : Uronema marinum in a QT

DavidToronto
06/17/2016, 07:55 PM
Hello,

So I had an issue with the above mentioned disease and wanted to make sure I did the right thing thus far.

I had a clown and a green chromi in QT for 6 days thus far. All was cool the first 2-3 days then clown started bullying the chromi. chromi seemed a bit stressed but still healthy. On day 5 I noticed ammonia rising a bit so did 20% water change (RoDi, and half cap of 'stability') then day 6 chromi had the red spot indicative of uronema so I put copper in (16 drops for 10g tank as prescribed) that seemed to make him even more woozy...he went to a bottom corner to chill, but I wanted to be safe and also gave him a 5min freshwater dip just in case, in RoDi with right ph and temp. I put him back in the QT, left for 4 hours and found him dead... the clown seems fine...I read more and was gonna give the chromi a formalin bath tmrw but i guess it's no longer necessary...:sad1: now i just wanted to know if I acted correctly and if there's anything I need to do to keep my clown well. I have a small hang on filter (carbon out for meds since today) and two airstones running in it and low lighting, heater, and some plastic decor. I do have less than an inch gravel although not everyone recommends it, it helped me cycle the tank and the lfs guy said little bit is fine. parameters seem ok.

Thanks for any advice:bigeyes:

ThRoewer
06/17/2016, 08:31 PM
Copper is completely ineffective against Uronema. It actually helps Uronema by weakening the fish's immune system.
The only thing that helps reliability against Uronema is formalin, best in baths followed by tank transfers to prevent reinfection.

Ideally you give every new fish a formalin bath before he even goes into the QT - this is most important with clownfish (against Brooklynella) and Chromis and Anthias (against Uronema).
Best practice is to do it with every single fish, and to make no exceptions.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Brieninsac
06/17/2016, 09:51 PM
That tank will need to be sterilized before being used again too.

ThRoewer
06/17/2016, 11:48 PM
Oh, and there was something about certain copper products being toxic with certain water conditioners.

snorvich
06/18/2016, 04:21 AM
Oh, and there was something about certain copper products being toxic with certain water conditioners.

This. Copper is not effective against uronema.

DavidToronto
06/18/2016, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the replies,

ThRoewer: I was using Cupramine, buffered active copper, would that have been a bad combination with 'stability' (it's not a conditioner though but good bacteria liquid)

Brieninsac: Yes, I will sterilize it but my clown is still in there, so I am thinking to leave it until his qt period is over and do it then?

Regards,

David

krullshards
06/24/2016, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the replies,

ThRoewer: I was using Cupramine, buffered active copper, would that have been a bad combination with 'stability' (it's not a conditioner though but good bacteria liquid)

Brieninsac: Yes, I will sterilize it but my clown is still in there, so I am thinking to leave it until his qt period is over and do it then?

Regards,

David

Stability is fine with Copper/cupramine. Like you said, Stability is not a water conditioner. That said, cupramine was ineffective here. How's the clown doing?

DavidToronto
06/24/2016, 11:27 AM
Hi,

He's ok so far, eating, moving, no signs of anything wrong although i think he's bored by himself:)

So I was wondering, if I sterilize the tank I have to re cycle it or keep doing water changes right? I mean, I have to throw all the filter media out correct?

Thanks,

D

Brieninsac
06/24/2016, 12:39 PM
I soaked my foam filter in bleach and water and let it air dry for about a week. I boiled my bio-media and also let it air dry for a week. I used Bio-spira to seed my tank when I set it back up. About a week later I added my first fish to the tank. I do weekly water changes too.

Newms118
06/24/2016, 07:42 PM
Stability is fine with Copper/cupramine. Like you said, Stability is not a water conditioner. That said, cupramine was ineffective here. How's the clown doing?

Why hasn't anyone recommended New Life Spectrum Ich Shield. It has a chloroquine derivative that supposedly can treat Uronema.

I'm currently doing this now. Here are some pics of my journey and my chromis.

Taken June 2
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10985&pictureid=75249

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10985&pictureid=75249

Taken on June 7 (125 mg Metro-Plex in water for 1 day):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10985&pictureid=75393

Taken on June 9 (Removed Metro-Plex, added 40 mg/gallon Ich Shield):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10985&pictureid=75394

Taken on June 22 (50 mg/gallon Ich Shield added on June 19):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10985&pictureid=75395

As of today, the chromis still looks like the image above. The pinkish spot not really changing. So with big bad super deadly Uronoma, do the fish actually go back to looking fully normal, or do they scar? I'm just wondering if this fish will ever look the same, or if this the how it will look FOREVER. I also have some paraguard I was thinking of dipping the fish in case this is in fact, NOT Uronema (given the fish hasnt died), and maybe its some infection and so a nice dip could be helpful.