PDA

View Full Version : Ich

Tanthaitrung
06/20/2016, 02:49 AM
Dear all,

I'm from Viet Nam. I have 1,100L tank. Ich killed my Yellow Tang and Moorish Idol

I would like to treat my display tank by hyposalinity. Please give me your advice.

My tank now has:

Copperbanded Butterfly
Blueface Angel
Purple Tang
Percula Anemone
Comet
Cleaner Shrimp
Carpet Anemone
Bubble Coral
Mushroom Coral
Zoanthid

Thank you so much
Khanh

scooter31707
06/20/2016, 07:31 AM
Your corals, inverts, and probably not your live rock will not survive during hyposalinity. Your best bet is to get them out of the tank and let is sit fishless for at 72 days. Some experts recommend 90 days. you can use Brute containers, Rubbermaid containers, or find another isolation tank. Then treat with hypo.

Tanthaitrung
06/20/2016, 07:59 AM
Thanks so much scooter31707 :)

How about this API? Can use for display tank?

Thanks again
Khanh

Bl@ckbird
06/20/2016, 08:22 AM
Most meds are not completely reef safe.... and, i don't think are very effective at treating ich. Copper, hypo salinity or fallow are the only sure methods to rid it. However, copper and hypo are not reef safe either. Fallow is your best chance. QT your fish somewhere and let the DT sit for 76 days. (76 days is the most current literature recommendations.... i figure if you're gonna do 72, might as well do 76.)

LobsterOfJustice
06/20/2016, 08:19 PM
There is no treatment for ich that is safe for the shrimp, anemone, and corals. You will either need to remove the invertebrates while you treat the fish in the display tank, or you will need to remove the fish and treat them in a hospital tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanthaitrung
06/21/2016, 02:29 AM
Thanks so much Bl@ackbird and LobsterOfJustice :)

If removing fishes and treat them in a hospital tank. So how to kill the parasite, that is still in display tank (water and rock)?

Except Copperbanded Butterfly looks itchy, the others look ok. Do I need to remove all fishes to hospital tank?

Can I use fresh water dip method?

Thank you
Khanh

Bl@ckbird
06/21/2016, 06:51 AM
If you're going to do fallow then all fish need to be removed. Ich cannot survive without fish in the system so no need to treat the DT..... After 76 days your DT will be free of all ich then you can add your fish back. (Don't forget to treat the fish for ich while they're in QT also)

Tanthaitrung
06/21/2016, 08:23 AM
Thanks again Bl@ckbird :)

It takes 76 days to kill parasite in display tank without fish?

My problem is no place for hospital tank. So I would like to remove fishes and treat by API SUPER ICK CURE for 4 days. But I'm afraid, it's not long enough to kill parasite in display tank. Head ache.

Have you got any idea Sir?

Thanks so much
Khanh

Deinonych
06/21/2016, 09:03 AM
API Super Ich Cure is not effective against Cryptocaryon (aka Marine Ich), as the primary ingredient is Malachite Green. The only way to treat the disease is to remove all fish from the display tank to a dedicated treatment tank, and treat using one of the recommended methods (I prefer Tank Transfer Method). Additionally, you must leave the display tank without fish for at least 72 days (76 is fine as recommended above) to allow the parasite to die off.

Tanthaitrung
06/21/2016, 09:39 AM
API Super Ich Cure is not effective against Cryptocaryon (aka Marine Ich), as the primary ingredient is Malachite Green. The only way to treat the disease is to remove all fish from the display tank to a dedicated treatment tank, and treat using one of the recommended methods (I prefer Tank Transfer Method). Additionally, you must leave the display tank without fish for at least 72 days (76 is fine as recommended above) to allow the parasite to die off.
Thanks very much for your advice Chris :)

Tanthaitrung
07/16/2016, 04:32 PM
Dear all :)

These few weeks I was so busy and did nothing but my fishes look healthier and happier. Especially, most of the tiny white spots on fins, tail of Copperbanded Butterfly disappeared.

I think their resistance are better and recover themselves. But parasite is still there. Is that right?

I plan to set up a quarantine tank to do Tank Transfer Method and leave my display tank in 3 months.

Could you please give any better ways?

Thanks so much :)

snorvich
07/16/2016, 04:49 PM
Visible symptoms come and go. Unless the fish are treated (TTM), and your tank left fallow, your fish and tank still have the parasite.

heyfishyfishy
07/16/2016, 04:56 PM
I'm about 60 days into a fallow tank after an inch outbreak. I would like to add some more snails/hermits but I guess I would need to quarantine them for 76 days or ttm them [emoji17]

Tanthaitrung
07/16/2016, 06:47 PM
Visible symptoms come and go. Unless the fish are treated (TTM), and your tank left fallow, your fish and tank still have the parasite.
Great thanks Steve :)

ThRoewer
07/17/2016, 04:00 AM
With ich there is some chance that fish beat it on their own and the parasite eventually dies out. But relying on that is risky, especially if a tank is heavily stocked with sensitive species.

Tanthaitrung
07/17/2016, 05:17 AM
With ich there is some chance that fish beat it on their own and the parasite eventually dies out. But relying on that is risky, especially if a tank is heavily stocked with sensitive species.
Oh, what a good information. I would like to feed them with New Life Spectrum Ick Shield. What is your opinion?

Thanks a lot ThRoewer

adamwheel
07/17/2016, 05:24 AM
It is worth the time to do it right. Fallow and TTM. If you don't have the patience or space to QT, I fear you won't see the success you desire.

The peace of mind that comes with 100% healthy fish is worth all the effort.

Cheers,
Adam

Tanthaitrung
07/17/2016, 05:47 AM
It is worth the time to do it right. Fallow and TTM. If you don't have the patience or space to QT, I fear you won't see the success you desire.

The peace of mind that comes with 100% healthy fish is worth all the effort.

Cheers,
Adam
Thanks so much for your advice Adam :)

Later, is that needed to do TTM for all new fishes before putting in quarantine tank?

ThRoewer
07/17/2016, 11:50 AM
While good nutrition definitely helps, medicated foods are usually of little or no effect unless you treat against intestinal parasites.
If possible it's always best to treat the fish properly and have the tank without fish so that the parasite dies out. How long you go fishless in the DT is a bit of a gamble - some were successful with 6 weeks, while others failed with 11 or more. It depends on the Cryptocaryon strain you have in your tank. Since it's impossible to know, most just go for the extreme.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tanthaitrung
07/17/2016, 04:27 PM
While good nutrition definitely helps, medicated foods are usually of little or no effect unless you treat against intestinal parasites.
If possible it's always best to treat the fish properly and have the tank without fish so that the parasite dies out. How long you go fishless in the DT is a bit of a gamble - some were successful with 6 weeks, while others failed with 11 or more. It depends on the Cryptocaryon strain you have in your tank. Since it's impossible to know, most just go for the extreme.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks again ThRoeWer :)

Later, is that needed to do TTM for all new fishes before putting in quarantine tank?

ThRoewer
07/17/2016, 08:19 PM

While other methods work as well TTM is usually the safest if executed properly.

Tanthaitrung
07/17/2016, 08:36 PM
While other methods work as well TTM is usually the safest if executed properly.
Thanks ThRoewer :)

I mean, when buying new fish, it looks good but might infected parasite, bacteria .... Is that needed to treat (TTM or other methods) before putting to quarantine tank? Or just putting in quantantine tank and observe in few weeks?

Khanh

ThRoewer
07/17/2016, 09:28 PM
Yes, it's best to give new fish at first a formalin bath (against Brook, Uronema and the like - velvet may or may not be targeted) and than put them through TTM (against ich). After that you observe them for 6 weeks in a QT.
With sensitive fish or fish that need a longer acclimatization it may be best to do TTM after the fish is stabilized.
Against flukes and intestinal parasites you may also consider treating with 2 rounds of PraziPro (can be combined with TTM)

Tanthaitrung
07/17/2016, 10:07 PM
Thanks so much for your great advice ThRoewer :)