PDA

View Full Version : Best survival rate for a starfish?

BrandonFlorida
06/21/2016, 07:25 AM
What are the best starfish to put into a tank knowing that they will survive?

anyone have any good suggestions?

I had two red fromia stars and they started to melt and both died within 24 hours of eachother.

Could a crab have killed both of them? For some stuff I read they starve even thou most places list them as detritus and algae eaters.

Thanks

Bent
06/21/2016, 07:26 AM
Most reef safe starfish except serpents and brittles are doomed.

The only downside to those two is depending on their size they can become predatory.

Timfish
06/21/2016, 07:38 AM
I have brittle/serpent stars decades old and haven't had problems with them. Many, many people have small brittle/serpent stars reproducing in their systems. Asterina stars are another that will readily reproduce. These animals are scavengers and I strongly suspect many of the reports of larger brittle/serpents and asterina stars killing and eating tankmates are them just doing their job. I certainly have not had problems with them in any of my tanks over the years. Many of the "reef" safe stars like Linkia and Fromia have very very low survival rates and end up melting after a few weeks or months. Fromia especially in my opinion should never be purchased.

GimpyFin
06/21/2016, 07:41 AM
Orange linckias are fairly solid as long as there is decent sand/rock for them to roam around and find food. (Stay away from the blue ones, though.) Sand sifting stars are also an easier star to keep. I've had one of each for about 7-8 months now.

mcgyvr
06/21/2016, 08:13 AM
serpent, brittle, sand sifters
(first 2 get BIG)

All others..good luck..

rockslide123
06/21/2016, 08:19 AM
I have had two orange linkia. The first I had for about a year before he died after a house move, the second I still have (about two years now). My current linkia has almost regrown an arm he was missing when I got him so I am assuming he's getting enough to eat and is healthy.

I think your best bet is find one that has been in a dealers tank for a while (month or more) that is still doing well. Drip acclimate very slowly (4+ hours). keep them in a large, (>100 gallon) well established (>1 year), well fed tank and they seem to do fine. Water parameters that change suddenly or get out of normal range can cause problems fast. Hope this helps.

BrandonFlorida
06/21/2016, 08:43 AM
So I should stay away from fromia stars? I may have to try an orange linkia. I just don't wanna kill another tank mate. First two deaths since I started my new 180 gallon tank. Plus the wife loves them.

BrandonFlorida
06/21/2016, 08:44 AM
I do have two harlequin serpent stars but I never see them at all.. Not even sure if they are alive or not but I do broadcast feed the entire tank. Probably over feed them but I do water changes weekly

PIPSTER
06/21/2016, 09:40 AM
I've had a red knobby (Not to be confused with the "knobbed" starfish which is not reef safe) that is a scavanger and has done fine, and is reef safe...never had any problems with it at all.

BrandonFlorida
06/21/2016, 09:46 AM
I've had a red knobby (Not to be confused with the "knobbed" starfish which is not reef safe) that is a scavanger and has done fine, and is reef safe...never had any problems with it at all.

Do you have a photo of the reef and non reef safe ones? My LFS has them at times.

billdogg
06/21/2016, 10:00 AM
I have brittle/serpent stars decades old and haven't had problems with them. Many, many people have small brittle/serpent stars reproducing in their systems. Asterina stars are another that will readily reproduce. These animals are scavengers and I strongly suspect many of the reports of larger brittle/serpents and asterina stars killing and eating tankmates are them just doing their job. I certainly have not had problems with them in any of my tanks over the years. Many of the "reef" safe stars like Linkia and Fromia have very very low survival rates and end up melting after a few weeks or months. Fromia especially in my opinion should never be purchased.

Thanks for posting this. Saved me the trouble of typing it all out.

I would avoid Green Brittle Stars - they can get VERY large and I have seen one hunt for sleeping fish at night. Very cool to watch, until you realize that it just caught your prized $$$fish.

BrandonFlorida
06/21/2016, 10:33 AM
Yeah im not a fan of any brittle stars.

Cliving1
06/21/2016, 11:12 AM
I had a blue linkia for 2 years in college. I had a large sponge population and I attribute that to my success. When I moved I returned the starfish to my lfs who was happy to take him back. I think diet and acclimation plays a large role for starfish.

Sk8r
06/21/2016, 11:53 AM
Tank size matters when you're dealing with a creature that eats what grows in the tank.

BrandonFlorida
06/21/2016, 12:03 PM
I would say a 180 gallon tank is big enough correct?

one was fine for about two months then I add another about 2 weeks ago and both died within 24-48 hr of eachother..

SaltyMember
06/21/2016, 01:01 PM
I have a Harlequin starfish that is at least 6-7 years old. Don't see him much so I assume he is surviving off sanded and uneaten food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GilliganReef
06/21/2016, 01:11 PM
2 years ago I purchased a LR that had a fancy brittle in it. Patrick is what we ended up naming it after sponge bob. When it first arrived in the tank it stayed inside the LR for 3 months. I notice it only had one arm on it then. Shocked that it survived an hour out of the water. Now 2 years later it is large with all 5 arms back. Only see him maybe once a month.

Cliving1
06/21/2016, 03:50 PM
Tank size matters when you're dealing with a creature that eats what grows in the tank.

100% in agreement.

ThRoewer
06/21/2016, 04:29 PM
I have 4 Fromia Sea Stars in my tank right now, 1 for over a year, 1 for a couple of months and 2 since last week.
Tank size may matter, but more important is that the tank is not too clean.
How good they do depends also very much on how they were treated during collection and shipment. And of course how well they were acclimated at each station.

I had Fromia milleporella sea stars coming in and starting to fall apart right away which indicates that they had been damaged somewhere along the supply chain.

One smaller Fromia was harassed to death by my regal angels, who liked to nip on its feet. At least I think it is dead since I haven't seen it for a good while. If it's still somewhere I would have 5.

One sea star I bought at a local store likes to hang on the glass right below the water line.

My oldest is a Fromia Tile Sea Star (chocolate chip) from the Philippines.

droth335
06/21/2016, 04:36 PM
We had 2 of these in our mixed reef tank for over 2 years and they did fine.

http://www.fishdb.com/db/salt/specimen/Red_Thorny_Starfish.php

PIPSTER
07/01/2016, 04:09 PM
Do you have a photo of the reef and non reef safe ones? My LFS has them at times.

Good: :celeb1::celeb2::inlove:
http://www.reefs2go.com/media/img/reefs2go/W800-H600-B000000/inv/stars/red_knobby_starfish.png

Bad: :furious::headwally::headwalls::hmm4:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7160/6387951783_c8d0e7c6e3_b.jpg

bmax1985
07/31/2016, 11:12 AM
Good: :celeb1::celeb2::inlove:
http://www.reefs2go.com/media/img/reefs2go/W800-H600-B000000/inv/stars/red_knobby_starfish.png

Bad: :furious::headwally::headwalls::hmm4:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7160/6387951783_c8d0e7c6e3_b.jpg

What kind of sea star is the one you indicate as 'good'? I have one that used to eat scallop but now refuses everything and has shrunk over the last year. What eshould I try to feed it? I've tried shrimp, krill, and fish meat when it refused scallop.

bmax1985
07/31/2016, 11:18 AM
What kind of sea star is the one you indicate as 'good'? I have one that used to eat scallop but now refuses everything and has shrunk over the last year. What eshould I try to feed it? I've tried shrimp, krill, and fish meat when it refused scallop.

Don't want to be a hijacker but what do you feed the one indicated as hood? I have one that used to eat scallop but now refuses all that I've tried. Shrimp, krill, fish meat. It's shrunk over the last year but hasn't died.

falconut
07/31/2016, 12:27 PM
I've tried orange linkia and red fromia, never had luck. The blues have been the only ones I've been able to keep. Current one is going on 2 years.

MrsReefK
07/31/2016, 01:05 PM
Orange linckias are fairly solid as long as there is decent sand/rock for them to roam around and find food. (Stay away from the blue ones, though.) Sand sifting stars are also an easier star to keep. I've had one of each for about 7-8 months now.

Why stay away from blue? Helpful to hear more on your opinion on this, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk