PDA

View Full Version : Any jellyfish owners? Looking for info

Lacuna
06/21/2016, 12:13 PM
Hi guys,

Some of you may have read my build journal- I'm currently working on a 60 litre jellyfish tank which has been built from scratch using 10mm acrylic. I am nearing completion of the tank now and I am thinking more about the actual specimens I want to put in the tank.

Moon jellies go for about £35 in the UK which is pretty expensive when you consider how common they are. I live close to the coast (Newcastle area) and I know of a couple of spots which are usually swarming with moon jellyfish, so I was thinking of catching some. My only concern is the temperature, as my tank is room-temperature and not chilled. I was wondering- to those of you who keep jellies, have you successfully caught wild specimens and acclimatised them to your tank?

I'm thinking that it may be possible to float the jellies over a longer period than usual, say 2 or 3 hours, and combine it with their natural salinity to minimise the stress on them. By this I mean I would use a refractometer to measure the salinity of the seawater where I catch them, and then fill the tank I have at home with water of the same salinity.

I'm hoping to set up a separate breeding tank in the future so I can always have a stock of moon jellies for my main aquarium, but at least in the meantime it would be nice to be able to collect them wild so I don't have to spend lots of money on new specimens (given that moons only live for around one year, on average).