PDA

View Full Version : watchman goby in bare bottom tank

anthonys51
06/21/2016, 03:58 PM
i have a pink spot watchman goby now. and i will be upgrading to a new 180 gallon tank, will he be able to live in the new tank.

i see he does dig holes a little, but i dont really see him shifting sand too much. plus i usually feed him with a turkey baster , so i know he wont have trouble eating,.
does anyone have any experience with them before

toothybugs
06/22/2016, 05:29 AM
Watchman gobies do well in anything over 10-15 gallons or so. Your tank size should be far more than adequate.

Personally I like to give them sand (my YWG is in my macro tank for this reason) but I don't think you would have any issue with one in a bare system.

Sk8r
06/22/2016, 09:08 AM
As long as he has rock to hide under. But he's likely to be kind of frustrated.

scooter31707
06/22/2016, 12:22 PM
IMO, I don't think it would fare to good.

CStrickland
06/22/2016, 01:04 PM
When I upgraded into a bigger tank I went bb for a while until my rocks had purged some junk and I was satisfied with my scape. During that time I had a Tupperware on the floor of the tank with a few inches of sand in it for my wrasse. He really liked it. Maybe you could make a little "sandbox" for the goby with a rock in it. He might take to it, and if he doesn't you'll know that he made the choice. It would actually be cool because you could put it someplace easy to look at instead of him deciding to burrow someplace where you can't see him most of the time.

anthonys51
06/22/2016, 05:55 PM
i was going to upgrade to a 180 from a 57. so he will have plenty of rock.
only thing i am not a goby expert, but mine isn't shy at all. he comes out and almost attacks me when i go by the tank. when i feed my fathead he attacks the turkey bastard looking for food. now i am not sure if all pink spot watchman goby are like this. never had a yellow one