PDA

View Full Version : My Marine Velvet under control (I hope) Advice needed!:)

Paalk
06/22/2016, 05:28 AM
So, my Velvet outbreak took out 48 of my precious fish:( Some of them have been with me for 12 years, I am really sad about this. At some point during this event I asked myself is this worth it...should I throw in the towel now....? The answer: well after 30 years of reefing I am not giving this up.

Ok, my question to you guys is 7 fish remain now in a HT including a large Vlamingii which I have had for years:inlove: He's got a very nice personality and love to be cuddled, now when I feed the fish he comes up to the surface as he always does to get some affection(that's my interpretation anyway). He lies down on his side at the surface and expects to be "scratched". The last couple of days he opens his gills waaay up as he wants us to scratch him there like he still has an itch or something. All fish has been in the HT now for 3 weeks and 2 days in Cupramine and they look good now, a lot better than before. What do you guys think, my plan is to take the Cupramine out of the HT now. A 50% WC and the rest with Polyfilter or carbon. Then I plan to put some Prazipro in there to treat any bacterial infections due to the copper treatment. I thought that might help with the possible irritant in the gills. Am I on the right track here?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Paalk
06/23/2016, 01:06 AM
Nobody have any opinions?

iluvmyfishes
06/23/2016, 02:02 AM
I would let them stay in the cupramine for the full treatment. 2 days is not enough. 2 weeks is better.

Paalk
06/23/2016, 05:43 AM
You have probably misread my post, they have been in Cupramine for 3 weeks and 2 days:)

tylersarah
06/23/2016, 05:52 AM
Just some clarification, Prazipro treats flukes and tapeworms. Copper doesn't cause infection, but ectoparasites, velvet for example, acting like entry portals for secondaries do and are common. I personally wouldn't use Prazipro, I think it's unnecessary, but I would have erythromycin on hand for possible infection. Watch for internal red streaking in body or fins as well as raised scales and lesions on the body.

Some have warned that copper isn't effective against velvet (never did see a source...anyone have the source?) and the preferred method is chloroquine phosphate. I've used both successfully, but would use the cp again because copper is an immune/appetite suppressant and sometimes difficult to maintain an effective dosage.

Sorry about all your fish!

scooter31707
06/23/2016, 06:32 AM
Best treatment for velvet is CP, IMO

Reel North
06/23/2016, 09:17 PM
I just ordered ick shield powder. It's the closest thing I can get to pure cp. here is to hoping. I just lost a bunch to velvet. I feel your pain.

Paalk
06/24/2016, 04:08 AM
The weird thing is that I thought CP was the way to go too, but after dosing of Plaquenil it didn't get any better. So I figured after talking to my vet that we had to try copper in order to save some of the fish. Luckily we saved some but nor nearly enough.