PDA

View Full Version : Tank designs for the larval culture of marine fish

ThRoewer
06/23/2016, 02:22 AM
Found this when searching on Google Scholar and thought it may be of interest for hobby breeders. The scales of the tanks definitely fit most of the fish we may want to breed.

Research-scale tank designs for the larval culture of marine ornamental species, with emphasis on fish (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jonathan_Moorhead/publication/269764054_Research-scale_tank_designs_for_the_larval_culture_of_marine_ornamental_species_with_emphasis_on_fish/links/5495ed170cf2ec13375b2d8a.pdf) (Full PDF Article)
Jonathan A. Moorhead
College of Marine and Tropical Biology, Centre for Sustainable Tropical Fisheries and Aquaculture, James Cook University, Townsville, QLD 4811, Australia

Abstract:

A key challenge facing scientists in marine ornamental aquaculture is the successful design and operation of tanks that accommodate fragile pelagic larvae, whilst allowing for adequate replication, behavioural observation and systematic investigation.
To address this challenge four experimental tank designs are described that have been used successfully in developing research methodologies for the larval rearing of marine ornamental species. The four designs increase sequentially in scale and include a 3-L and 9-L rounded tank design, a 5-L modified ‘planktonkreisel’ design and a 100-L cylindricoconical design, all of which can be operated as either staticor flow-through systems. The 3-L and 9-L tanks and the 5-L planktonkreisel design are constructed from readily available materials and can be replicated to improve statistical strength while accommodating the requirements of larval fish for gentle flow, mixing, and maintenance of live prey in suspension. The 100-L tank is a technical improvement on existing current designs, using a novel integrated inlet-outletdesign to enable the use of a large central outlet filter to increase screen area. This design is scalable and may be applicable for use in a commercial larviculture setting.
These tank designs provide a versatile and compact option for studies relating to larviculture of marine ornamental species, and may also be useful for other marine fish species.

ginpang
06/24/2016, 07:57 AM
Very interesting ...thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ThRoewer
06/25/2016, 04:14 PM
I plan to build the modified planktonkeisel, but a bit larger. I think it will be perfect for raising pipefish and Gramma or other fish with low clutch sizes.
It should also work well for shrimp and crab larvae.
It might even work as a larvae catcher when placed between tank overflow and sump.
The basic design will also work with clownfish and Marine Betta larvae, but would need to be bigger.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk