PDA

View Full Version : ORA red goniopora

GOSKN5
06/23/2016, 06:20 PM
I have had my ORA red goniopora for about 6 months or so now..

It has always been kind of picky and temperamental (like my wife [emoji2]) but recently it doesn't seem to open during the day.. at least not fully..

When I wake up, before the lights are on its wide open and looks full etc... flow is the same, so the only conclusion I can come to is the lighting... it's pretty close to the bottom on a rock about 6-8" above the bottom.. it is growing, but also has faded in color some..

Should I try to place it on the bottom? Any issue with it sitting on barebottom? It's on a small plug anyway..

Here is a pic of it open a few months ago..

Reef Frog
06/23/2016, 08:51 PM
Your description suggests the possibility of light intensity that's too high. What kind of lighting are you using and how are you running the fixture?

You didn't mention what your big3 parameters are showing. IME ORA Reds don't require anything special beyond normal reef numbers. If they are in acceptable range, I might see if lowering the light intensity somehow helps out. You also want a gentle back & forth flow. You don't want virtually motionless polyps and at the other end of the spectrum you don't want them leaning all the way over like palm trees in a hurricane either. Ali's make sure ru polyps aren't getting thrashed against a rock or another coral; give them some space.

GOSKN5
06/24/2016, 06:21 AM
Here is pic of it opened...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160624/126c7e2ed6693eb2e2ce56ff08fc010f.jpg

Lights are two Ocean Revive arctic t247.. running at about 50% intensity around 8 inches above the waterline.. also have 2 t5 running a few hours..

Parameters are in check..

Salinity 1.025
Mag 1400
Cal 440
Alk 9.5

I know alk is a touch high, but I haven't seen where that affects anything..

I think I will move it to the bottom today and see if that helps some

Reef Frog
06/24/2016, 09:08 AM
Your parameters are fine. Looking at that pic, I'm thinking the issue is the little hollow you have it mounted in. It seems like the fully extended polyps would be constantly hitting the rock work in all directions.

I'd try to give it more space all around so the polyps aren't touching anything when moving. Keep in mind these things grow well so you might want to add a margin of space for growth. I keep mine on the sand bed and they do very well there. Best of luck.

GOSKN5
06/24/2016, 10:04 AM
That pic is deceiving.. it's got a bunch of room around it..

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160624/94c50e29e57e7004b46f3ae48ac8ac8b.jpg

Regardless I am gonna move it and see if that helps..

smatter
07/01/2016, 08:05 AM
I just got an ORA red goniopora yesterday. It's on the sand at the base of the rock structure and I dropped the intensity of the LEDs. The guy at ORA said to acclimate it slowly to intense halides or LEDs as all of their corals are grown in greenhouses under natural sunlight.

It is just peeking out a little so far and hasn't opened fully yet. I'm excited to see it looking like yours!