PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish keep getting ick

lizs0701
06/24/2016, 07:50 AM
I'm so frustrated! This is my second 5 gallon reef tank and I never had issues with having a clown in my original tank. My current 5 gallon was originally home to a royal gramma (the devils spawn) and an ocellaris clown. The ocellaris died unexpectedly after about 2 weeks. The gramma was mean so I assumed he killed the ocellaris. I got rid of the gramma (rehomed) and got a new ocellaris about a week later. It lasted about 3 weeks then died. It had 2-3 white dots at about 3am one day and was covered in white spots by 7am. He then died at 8am. Today I got a blood orange clown who was fine at the LFS for 3 months. He is in the rank with a bicolor blenny who has been fine. It's his first day in and he suddenly (in the last hour) has about 10 small white specs and is less active. What is wiping out only my clownfish??? It does not look like a slimy film (brooklynella). I have no idea what it has t affected the royal gramma or bicolor blenny.

Reel North
06/24/2016, 10:47 AM
It's velvet or brook. If you put a fish back in, the virus is still there. And they will continue to die.

Either toss everything, and sanitize the tank, or leave it fallow for 10 weeks.

I'd probably nuke everything and start fresh.

Jeff4777
06/24/2016, 06:25 PM
Sounds like marine velvet if they are dying so quick.

microlady
08/28/2016, 09:23 AM
Velvet and Brooklynella aren't viruses. They are protozoan parasites and they should die off if you leave the tank fallow for at least 6 weeks. Marine ich takes longer. Quarantine everything wet if you want to succeed in this hobby. Good luck!

ThRoewer
08/28/2016, 12:29 PM
Ich usually takes a few weeks to kill a fish. Even velvet needs to feed on the fish but reproduce off the fish, which slows it down somewhat.
Brooklynella on the other hand multiplies on the fish by simple division which allows it to spread fast.

Based on this and the fact that the victim was a clownfish, Brooklynella is the most likely cause.

I would never add a clownfish to any tank (incl. QTs) without giving it first a formalin bath.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk