PDA

View Full Version : Anyone brave enough to go near their spearer mantis barehanded?

Hadla
06/24/2016, 11:14 AM
Just curious cause I'm not! I want to try hand feeding Stelio but I worry about her striking my hand and damaging both of us in the process... She's only about 3-4 inches long. I'd never put my hand near a big spearer! Roger and my other smasher don't bother me. Also, I want to put a fish tankmate with her but I'm afraid of her killing them :(

Ac2556
06/24/2016, 09:22 PM
Hello! I wouldnt but as you seem to have experience with mantis i'll ask u one question: Ive heard that u have to feed smasher living food with hard shells because otherwise they'll drop their smashers in moult/shed. Is that true or can i feed a smasher for example frozen clams and hell be healthy?

Bugboy2020
06/25/2016, 09:44 AM
I feed my G. Viridis frozen crab shells(Thawed, of course) by just dropping them in for him. He doesn't have any issues.

Jlentz
06/25/2016, 01:59 PM
There's a big difference between going near them and trying to feed them out of your hand.

The latter sounds a bit insane...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EI Gringo
06/26/2016, 12:52 AM
I have fed them barehanded, everyone knows the volatility of their own specimen or can at least guess.

Hadla
06/26/2016, 01:15 AM
So they never tried to strike you? Were you able to keep any fish with it?