PDA

View Full Version : maco safe fish and CUC?

Devaji108
06/24/2016, 12:33 PM
Ok guy it time to start stocking my tank.
so I thought I would start a thread on Macro safe fish and CUC

hopefully this will become useful for others setting up macro dom. tanks.

let start off with what we know not to be safe:

so I am guessing all tangs are off the list (not that i was gonna but one in my 20L) but in general they eat most algae

lawnmower blennies

i am wondering about the hector's goby. says they eat Ha would hate it to go after my macros.

so what are the fish we know to be safe and unsafe for macros?
:reading:

jraker
06/24/2016, 02:25 PM
Most wrasses will generally be safe, because they mainly eat small shrimp.

Also basslets like the royal gramma and the chalk bass are carnivores so they won't eat macro.

Shrimp gobies are also safe.

Devaji108
06/24/2016, 03:01 PM
good to know about wrasses for folks with bigger tanks.

what about
clown gobies?
blennies
cardinals
for folks with smaller tanks?

jraker
06/24/2016, 04:06 PM
Anything that is a canivore is fine. Clown gobies are a perfect choice for smaller tanks.

Cardinals are also fine.

Blennies can be tricky. Some are herbivorous, some are omnivorous, and some are carnivores. Blennies such as the sailfin and combtooth blennies will probably eat algae. The "fang" blennies of the genus Meiacantus are omnivorous, and I do not think will eat macro. Then there are smaller blennies such as the tailspot and barnacle blennies. The tailspot might or might not eat algae, mine didn't, but they stay pretty small so I wouldn't worry too much about them. Barnacle blennies are generally carnivores, so there is no worry with them eating macro.

By the way, possum wrasses are good choices for smaller tanks. They don't need as much room as some of the lager wrasses.

Devaji108
06/25/2016, 01:07 AM
yeah after I typed that I got to thinking about the possum wrasse... was on the original list. forgot about it. from what I read the possum wrasse is shy.

I do love the tailspot but they are pretty shy as well.

to bad you cant mix a lot of clown gobies...now that would be fun..

Michael Hoaster
07/03/2016, 11:39 PM
Reproducing snails, like ceriths are essential crew members. The tiny, newly hatched snails can clean the tiny crevises on delicate macros.

KrazieKiKi
07/12/2016, 10:40 AM
yeah after I typed that I got to thinking about the possum wrasse... was on the original list. forgot about it. from what I read the possum wrasse is shy.

I do love the tailspot but they are pretty shy as well.

to bad you cant mix a lot of clown gobies...now that would be fun..

I've mixed different types of clown gobies and they do fine. I've got a green and a yellow in my tank and they coexist great together. My green one acts as though he hosts the dragons breathe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devaji108
07/12/2016, 10:58 AM
^ nice good to know. My clown gobie still will not eat tho :(
I would like to get a panda goby in there..maybe I'll have luck with mixing the clowns as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

psidriven
07/12/2016, 11:07 AM
heard panda goby can be difficult to raise long term and like to have sps to hang around in. maybe try the new panda clownfish? definitely won't eat macro.

jraker
07/12/2016, 02:08 PM
^ nice good to know. My clown gobie still will not eat tho :(
I would like to get a panda goby in there..maybe I'll have luck with mixing the clowns as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Panda gobies are extremely shy and people almost never see them.

As for possum wrasses, if you add them first, they should not be too shy. They are still more confined to the rockwork than other fish, but when I had mine, it was out and about constantly.