PDA

View Full Version : 2-part vs. Bailling method

andrek787
06/24/2016, 01:42 PM
I am trying to decide on whether or not to switch over from Seachem Fusion to the bailling method like Aquaforest.

The problem I am running into with Fusion is that despite using 50% more Alk part then Calc, my Alkalinity wont budge above 8dkh. Calcium is at 440 and Mag is at 1300. My ph will not go over 7.6-7.7. I have actually started dosing Aquavitro Eight-Four (ph-buffer) and Ions (magnesium) to see if that helps.

If I understand correctly, the 3rd component in bailing method (mineral salts) helps maintain the proper ratios.

Could going to 3 part system help in my situation?

bertoni
06/25/2016, 03:02 AM
I doubt that the Balling system is going to do any better per se, but the supplements you have might have a mixing error, or there might be some testing issues, for that matter. How many dKH are you dosing per day?

K.C.
06/26/2016, 09:05 PM
The problem I am running into with Fusion is that despite using 50% more Alk part then Calc, my Alkalinity wont budge above 8dkh. Calcium is at 440 and Mag is at 1300. My ph will not go over 7.6-7.7. I have actually started dosing Aquavitro Eight-Four (ph-buffer) and Ions (magnesium) to see if that helps.

Why do you want Alk above 8 dkh ?

The Aquaforest system is designed to work at 7 dkh.

You don't mention how you're testing. In particular how are you testing pH ?

andrek787
06/26/2016, 09:50 PM
I doubt that the Balling system is going to do any better per se, but the supplements you have might have a mixing error, or there might be some testing issues, for that matter. How many dKH are you dosing per day?
Right now, I am dosing 15ml of part 2. That would add 48.5dKH to a gallon of SW. Tank has only a few LPS colonies, so calc demand is pretty low.
Why do you want Alk above 8 dkh ?

The Aquaforest system is designed to work at 7 dkh.

You don't mention how you're testing. In particular how are you testing pH ?
All of my testing is done using RedSea Pro tests, except pH which regular RedSea test.
K.C you are right, just reread the info on the aquaforest and it does state 6.5 - 8dKh. I was shooting for 10, as the commonly recommended range is 8-12dKH. Why would AF recommend low alkalinity???

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

K.C.
06/26/2016, 10:07 PM
The Red Sea pro test kits are consistent if used correctly but I'd have doubts about the pH results your getting if the tank has a normal photoperiod and good gas exchange via a skimmer. There are few dye based pH kits that are accurate.

I was shooting for 10, as the commonly recommended range is 8-12dKH. Why would AF recommend low alkalinity???

They're not recommending low Alk, they're recommending natural Alk.

Natural seawater has a canonical surface Alkalinity of 7 dkH. Many artificial salt mixes come up higher than NSW but ideally not over 8 dkH.

At alkalinity above 6.5-7 dkH you'll have faster growth and potentially less colorful corals. Here's a good primer on Reef Tank Water Parameters. (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/)

I am fortunate to have been using NSW for over 30 years and here in Southern California the water is very consistent. Alk is 6.5 dkH, CA 320 and Mg 1200. I buffer slightly before doing a water change to raise it to AF levels.

I've used AF for a long time and it's a good system. I get excellent growth and color at 7 dkH, CA 350-400 and Mg 1200-1400.

bertoni
06/27/2016, 01:15 AM
This article covers seawater parameters in detail:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

I agree that 7 dKH is a good number for an ocean average. A higher alkalinity can be useful to account for testing issues and daily swings, as well as compensating a bit for the lower pH levels we often see indoors.

andrek787
06/27/2016, 10:43 AM
So is it possible to achive ~10dkh using the AF balling method?

Just to make sure I understand the balling method correctly.

Part 1 - Calcium Cloride - supplies calcium + magnesium

Part 2 - Sodium Bi-carbonates - raises alkalinity

Part 3 - Sodium Cloride - buffer that keeps the Ca/Mg/Alk at proper ratios.

One thing that is interesting to me is that fact that the AF components are very dilute compared to ready-to-use 2-part. Is it possible to mix them at higher concentration?

bertoni
06/27/2016, 11:09 AM
Part 3 of these solutions usually contains magnesium, instead of part 1, but this one might trace elements. I hope it's not just sodium chloride (table salt). That's not going to be helpful.

I'm not sure exactly what's in the solutions, but mixing them to a higher concentration might work. You could try it. I suspect that the worst that could happen is that you might need to add more water to get them to dissolve, but it's possible that something might precipitate.

LoganR
06/27/2016, 01:30 PM
There is a pretty good thread about the components 1+2+3+ in the Aquaforest sub forum.