PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical filtration for a 40 gallon reef

jam.jo
06/24/2016, 01:54 PM
So I have a 40 gallon reef with a cleanup crew and hang on back skimmer reef octopus classic 90 and hang on back cpr refugium as well as two little fishies phosban reactor running gfo. Would it be a good or bad idea to add a mechanical filter on such as the fluval g3? I guess I have heard that these canister filters are redundant on reef tanks but I do not have a sump so I have nothing getting rid of debri besides the skimmer and the cleanup crew. Tell me what you think and if you use one.. what your experience is with using a canister filter on a reef tank...

jayball
06/24/2016, 02:04 PM
So I have a 40 gallon reef with a cleanup crew and hang on back skimmer reef octopus classic 90 and hang on back cpr refugium as well as two little fishies phosban reactor running gfo. Would it be a good or bad idea to add a mechanical filter on such as the fluval g3? I guess I have heard that these canister filters are redundant on reef tanks but I do not have a sump so I have nothing getting rid of debri besides the skimmer and the cleanup crew. Tell me what you think and if you use one.. what your experience is with using a canister filter on a reef tank...

There is no need, your skimmer will remove plenty of particulate and your live rock provides bio filtration.

hkgar
06/24/2016, 02:55 PM
If you really want to try something you could hook a filter sock up to the teurn of the skimmer.

Do some research on filter socks in some of the other forums, i.e. reef discussion or lightin and other equipment.

jstack
06/24/2016, 03:05 PM

I don't see why not I have 56 column with a reef octopus 1000hob and a reactor for gfo and I run aquaclear 1000 that has filter floss polyfilter and a sponge I sometimes add carbon. Unless ur cultivating something in that hob fuge like pods I really don't think you understand that the fuge is not doing anything for you in terms of export.btw sumps are really only needed under 90 in a specialty tank most who add are just spinning tires making nasty armpits under the tank and wonder why they have algae problems
to be clear I meant undersized refugium being the waste as far as sumps go they are fine

MrHyde
06/24/2016, 04:59 PM
I prefer to let everything flow through the system unhindered. When it's time to do a water change and really stir things up, then incorporate some sort of mechanical filtration to polish the water for you. Just let nature take it's course.. Then again if your thumb is anything other than blue you might have a problem. ;)

jam.jo
06/24/2016, 06:23 PM
Yes, the refugium right now I am growing chaeto and the plan is to add copepods in the future once the tank is more established to breed for a mandarin and other things. Anyways, thanks for all of the advice and confirming that it is not something I should be worrying about. I will focus on water changes and keeping feedings small.