PDA

View Full Version : Is this Black Ich?

splix
06/24/2016, 03:13 PM
stupid tangs....of course they're going to parasite my tank.
Brought my dejardini sailfin out of QT and into the DT. He seemed fine for a few days. I had to leave town for the most part of a week while my wife took care of the tank. She informed me that it looked like the sailfin had ich. I told her probably and it's probably due to transfer stress into the DT since he's one of the last fish to go in.

I get home and it looks to me like he's got black ich. I've never dealt with it or seen it before but is that what this is? Seems like the spots arent raised nor looks like pepper instead of the salt like white ich.
It might be stress but his color was shot and with what would possibly be black ich, I just did a formaline dip and back into the QT he goes!

Sorry for out of focus pictures. This was while I was pulling him out of the formalin dip so he's not very happy and was flipping all over the place in the net.
When he settles down in QT i'll get a better pic

http://i.imgur.com/C1zRO4Kl.jpg

splix
06/24/2016, 03:43 PM
crazy, after the formalin dip he's in QT looking perfectly clear.

Dmorty217
06/24/2016, 05:54 PM
The picture doesn't look like black ich to me. Black ich is much finer spots typically. Although if the spots are gone after formalin that makes me believe it was worms

splix
06/24/2016, 06:16 PM
Spots are back now that he's calmed down. Will Prazi take care of it?

splix
06/24/2016, 06:28 PM
So the clowns have black spots. Not black ich looking like pepper, just these black dots in the skin and not showing up on the bars. Looking around it looks like something called hypermelanism.
They look exactly like this
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2483112

Sailfin's spots seem to come and go. One time I check the QT he looks like hell and is covered in them (again not like pepper on him just these spots under his skin), I just checked it now again and he looks normal.

Does paravortex black turbellarian flatworm disease make sense?

Dmorty217
06/25/2016, 06:54 AM
If it's flatworms they will be all over the body but in a salt like appearance. All fish should go thru prazipro so I would do that then if the problem is still there after 2 prazi treatments regroup and figure out another game plan