PDA

View Full Version : Newbie In need of help

Bassguy13
06/26/2016, 02:03 AM
I've had my freshwater tanks but I'm deciding now that it's time I take a step and start a salt water aquarium. A friend of mine has a biocube 29 and she said I could just have it. It has a cracked in the back of it somewhere but from how it sounds will be an easy fix. The tank is all stock and been sitting for a year or 2. So where should I start? I domt know much about salt water and the maitinence. Any suggestions help tips anything will help.

SFish
06/26/2016, 02:47 AM
Read

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

RO/DI filter

Then decide if you want a fish only or a reef tank

I would probably say forget the tank if it has a crack in it and just pick up a brand new 40 breeder for $40. Petco $1/gal sale. Not worth the the hassle or risk in my mind.

Come up with fish list and coral list if wanted then post to make sure fish are compatible

Decide if you want to run a sump or not

Make stand for tank your self (DIY)

Figure out how much flow you need then buy power heads and if running sump return pump

Buy test kits

Buy lights depends on the type of tank

Decide if your going to run a skimmer or not then if yes pick one up post to ask what size to use

Decide how you want to control PO4 then set that up

Just a few things off the top of my head to get you started this is by no means everything

jam.jo
06/26/2016, 06:44 AM
Go to youtube and look up bulk reef supply videos. They have a video on almost everything you need to know about reef tanks and they are very helpful. I agree with the 40 gallon... don't set up a 29 biocube especially if theres a crack in it. The smaller the tank.. the more maintenance involved to ensure temp and parameters do not fluctuate too much. Are you doing fish only or fish and corals? Do not use tap water. Save yourself alot of problems and go with an RO/DI system. Protein skimmer is a must.. water changes technically can do the job if they are done every few days without the skimmer.. but salt is not cheap. I recommend a good skimmer that is rated for 2 times the size of the tank. Don't go too large on that or it could cause efficiency problems with the skimmer. I use a reef octopus classic 90 for my 40 gallon but there are other options available too. Let us know what you are thinking and we can help you out!