PDA

View Full Version : First Mini - Emergency need advice

thelawnwrangler
06/26/2016, 06:23 PM
I cleaned my return pump for my all in one aquarium and it decide to quit on me. In my back sump I have media basket with chemipure and purigen, heater, protein skimmer, gfo reactor and return pump. In display I have 2 power heads and live rock.

I think I will be okay without pump until tomorrow. Plan is to move heater to display.

Big question I have air pump should I drop in air stone to make up for lost of protein skimmer action?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

gone fishin
06/26/2016, 06:31 PM
I would think the powerheads should suffice. Maybe point them more toward the surface. But, an air stone could provide some cheap insurance and some peace of mind. good luck

thelawnwrangler
06/26/2016, 07:00 PM
Baptism in vinegar has removed the devil for now but by no means is this battle over. I think I am brining in a Sicce straight from the Vatican tomorrow. My LFS is going to earn that 40% margin BC it is on his shelf lol

carrots
06/26/2016, 07:03 PM
Any chance you can get to the impeller? Not sure what type of pump you have, but on my return I can expose mine when it freezes up. After power outages mostly. With a thin needle like object I can spin the impeller and it starts up again.

gone fishin
06/26/2016, 07:03 PM
:lol::lol:

thelawnwrangler
06/26/2016, 07:04 PM
Carrots I finally figured out how to get it and cleaned it. Think that help. Also I prayed to the fire gods to bring it back

carrots
06/26/2016, 07:07 PM
In reference to the lack of a skimmer. You will be fine. I haven't run a skimmer in 8 years on my tanks and all is well.

thelawnwrangler
06/26/2016, 07:09 PM
Gas exchange you just make sure good surface agitation?

thelawnwrangler
06/26/2016, 07:11 PM
Thanks for help btw

Ron Reefman
06/27/2016, 05:48 AM
Gas exchange you just make sure good surface agitation?

Yes, I've read that good surface agitation is better for gas exchange than your skimmer.

And here is an idea for you. With 'critical' or 'hard to get' parts for your system, have a backup on hand. I run 3 DC12000 pumps and for 3 years there has been a 4th sitting on a shelf waiting for it's turn to get in the game. And when I found a newer DCT15000 lightly used and at a very fair price I bought it. I'm always looking at used equipment for good deals on things I'd like for backup security. I even found a remanufactured version of my $175 dosing pump as an ebay auction and got it for $29. It looks better than the 2 I'm already using!

thelawnwrangler
06/27/2016, 06:18 AM
Yes, I've read that good surface agitation is better for gas exchange than your skimmer.

And here is an idea for you. With 'critical' or 'hard to get' parts for your system, have a backup on hand. I run 3 DC12000 pumps and for 3 years there has been a 4th sitting on a shelf waiting for it's turn to get in the game. And when I found a newer DCT15000 lightly used and at a very fair price I bought it. I'm always looking at used equipment for good deals on things I'd like for backup security. I even found a remanufactured version of my $175 dosing pump as an ebay auction and got it for $29. It looks better than the 2 I'm already using!

Yeah I think this lesson is learned. I think I am going to get a new pump today and put my now working but questionable pump on the shelf. I have some back up powerheads. I think those are the real critical items?

I am kind of unsure what size pump to get. Pump was 300 gph fluval unsure if that was accurate. Going to replace with 357 gph Sicce. I am thinking I shouldn't push it any harder. I will need to research how often you want your sump to turnover. I think my back little all in one area is 6 gallons so I am thinking 7-10x turn in the sump isn't really applicable?

What is the current school of thought on having a valve on pump line and adjusting down if you want less flow. Is that hard on the pump?

gone fishin
06/27/2016, 06:25 AM
What is the current school of thought on having a valve on pump line and adjusting down if you want less flow. Is that hard on the pump?

You want to make sure the valve is on the outlet side of the pump. It should not hurt the pump if you need to throttle back some on the flow, within reason. This is hard to do with a ball valve they are basically open/shut valves. Try to find yourself a gate valve, these can be used to throttle flow very effectively.

thelawnwrangler
06/27/2016, 07:01 AM
I think I probably won't have to gear it down, but also irrationally or rationally have in my head that the fluval equipment wasn't delivering so maybe fluval 300 gph vs Sicce 357 gph (plan replacment) is much bigger than 57 gph.

I was playing around with the calculator and it suggest .08 thick pipe or 6 inches of overflow for 357. I know I don't have 6 inches of overflow, but that might be suggestion to get right surface skim.