PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine level .08ppm with MaxCap 180gpd

Zalick
06/26/2016, 10:27 PM
Jeremy - I have the 180gpd Maxcap with manual flush. 300g system with 400g total water. It went online about January 2015 but I wasn't making much water. I had my ato hooked up to it with constant on an off. That lasted for about 1 year. For the last 4 months, I've been making large batches at a time.

I've probably run 8000g through the system. I just changed the pre-filter, carbon and both DI about March 1.

My TDS is about 10 at the tap and 0 at each stage. My muni water uses chloramine. My hannah checker tests 1.51ppm chlorine at the tap. My PH at the tap is 8.3.

Ratio is 4-1.

My filtered water is testing .08ppm chlorine.

Do you know why my system isn't removing more of the chloramine?

SpectraPure
06/29/2016, 08:20 PM
The standard 0.5 is not as effective as our Chloramine Removal cartridge.

http://spectrapure.com/FILTERS-MEMBRANES-RESIN/CARBON-FILTER-CARTRIDGES/1-Micron-ChlorPlus-Chloramine-Removal-Carbon-Block-Filter-10-inch

Jeremy

Zalick
08/25/2016, 12:30 PM
The standard 0.5 is not as effective as our Chloramine Removal cartridge.

http://spectrapure.com/FILTERS-MEMBRANES-RESIN/CARBON-FILTER-CARTRIDGES/1-Micron-ChlorPlus-Chloramine-Removal-Carbon-Block-Filter-10-inch

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy.

I now have .2 Zetazorb prefilter -> 1 micron Chlorplus -> .5 carbon -> 70psi RO -> silica buster -> mixed bed semi-cond DI.

Ratio is 2:1

My hannah checker still shows .03 - .05 total chlorine in the finished water. I know the checker is +/- .03ppm.

Do you think my setup is optimal for removing 1.5-1.8 ppm chloramine?

Thanks again!

SpectraPure
08/25/2016, 03:20 PM
Yes, but I doubt that checker is accurate. Are you rinsing it out with RO water or tap water? I doubt your checker is working. Good DI cartridges wouldn't show chlorine.

Jeremy

Zalick
08/25/2016, 04:41 PM
Yes, but I doubt that checker is accurate. Are you rinsing it out with RO water or tap water? I doubt your checker is working. Good DI cartridges wouldn't show chlorine.

Jeremy

Thanks. I am rinsing with RO. I thought it was odd to read anything with brand new carbon blocks.

SpectraPure
08/26/2016, 09:34 AM
Let me know what you find.

Jeremy

Zalick
10/31/2016, 04:42 PM
Jeremy,
Looks like I'm still getting chlorine breakthrough after about 2 months (~800g). I must have higher suspended solids because my sediment filters clog up pretty quick, less than about 500 gallons or so.

These are all guesses as I haven't been keeping close track of how much water I'm actually making.

This setup lasted about 2 months before the zeta lost 10% pressure and chlorine breakthrough again.

It seems that running 2 carbon allows me to go longer before changing but doesn't provide more protection since I test for chlorine every time and if there is breakthrough I switch out. Is that correct?

Would it make more sense to use a 1 micron sediment in the remote canister followed by the zeta? The 1 micron is much cheaper to filter out the suspended solids. And only run the .5 carbon instead of the chlorplus and the .5? So the system would look like:
1 micron -> .2 zeta -> .5 carbon -> ro -> di -> di

SpectraPure
11/01/2016, 07:39 AM
Please test the Hanna with DISTILLED WATER from the grocery store to determine the actual error.

Zalick
11/01/2016, 02:37 PM
Please test the Hanna with DISTILLED WATER from the grocery store to determine the actual error.

I'll do that tonight. Thanks!

SpectraPure
11/21/2016, 10:51 AM
any luck?