PDA

View Full Version : Leather coral is slumping over

champion6sigma
06/27/2016, 02:50 PM
Tank is 9 months old maybe. Most corals seem to be thriving and growing. Recently my leather finger coral lost 2 finger extensions. Occassionally it slumps over when lights go down or in day. Is this normal sporadic behavior or is this signs that it will worsen and is dying ?

mcgyvr
06/27/2016, 04:26 PM
Its TOTALLY normal for leather/soft corals to close up/slump over,etc..
Sometimes for days to even a week or so..
They can also "shed" a thin layer of skin to clean themselves of algae,etc..

And it didn't "lose" two finger extensions.. That it dropping them/splitting to create a new coral.. Grab the piece and glue it to a small bit of rock/frag plug,etc.. and you will now have another coral that will grow just fine..

champion6sigma
06/27/2016, 05:33 PM
Awesome. Good news. Was weird to see since water parameters are great and other corals are good.

Thanks

OrQidz
06/27/2016, 10:12 PM
I had a leather in the past that got weird like that every time it dropped bits of itself off to propagate through the tank. I think it will be fine. And you'll have more of them!

champion6sigma
08/06/2016, 09:19 PM
My leather has been heavily slouching over...especially when the lights are off, then it will perk up with lights. I tried moving lower in the tank to put in a different level of water flow....incase it was too much, but then it was less light so I moved back up. one piece did break off and i put it in a crevice of a rock and its upright and looks cool! one day it will be big i hope. i'm guessing they want a lot of light, so i'm gonna ramp up my xr30w pro slowly.....i still don't know if it started this new behavior because its tired of the current?

all my corals are growing well, just was a little dissappointing to see the leather bend in half almost. my anemone is dying and almost dead. nemo will not leave it alone, after feeding it with mysis occasionally. i just gave up. i don't have a quarentine for it, its too much trouble and Id end up killing it. thats what happened last time i had a quarentine, not enough water changes and other issues. lost two fish.