PDA

View Full Version : Your Ick Challenge

Kenreefer
06/27/2016, 09:18 PM
After sending a day at reefapalooza one exhibiter mentioned how whose in the know...the hobbie in general continue to lose newbies. Soooo I will challenge you as much as I can to instruct me in my ick fight. I figured out the fresh water cycling, ciclid breeding. And ick. Simple compared to SW. The ultimate reef DT would have coral, anemone n fish. I lost all my fish but one, wasse, to ick. I'm tired of reading multiple cures? I'm not a chemical or bio major. Seems someone has or can explain things in simple english. So let's just make a time based chart of what to do when and for how long. Please no snake oil garlic people.

1. How do I eliminate ick pest from DT with corals, sand n LR?
2. I setup QT, no sand or rock, with 2 clowns n 1 Naso tang, now what?
So two charts, I understand that some time frames may be dependent on fish behavior, health etc...

Thanks, hoping for an easy to implement result n great future sticky.

BTW Dr. Tim was kind enough to explain how to set up the QT with his SW quick cycle product. Thank you Dr. Tim that saving me alot of reading time.

CStrickland
06/27/2016, 09:39 PM
There's already a lot of stickies about ich
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1985626
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1500214
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/sp/feature/index.php
Enjoy! but you are going to get different opinions based on people's experience/luck/risk tolerance.

Another thing that keeps fish healthy is giving them enough space. A Naso tang needs a huge tank, I think around 300 gallons. They get very big and if they are stressed from an improper environment they are more likely to suffer from all different diseases, including ich. Ich isn't really the scariest disease compared to some of the cooties our fish and coral can pick up, IMO.

Kenreefer
06/27/2016, 10:16 PM
No kidding about the Nasa, I did that on purpose so a bigger fish keeps the clowns in their nem. Your lazy reply is what i wanted to avoid. I wanted a chart not some link i read already that's the easy way out for you n you folks wonder why us newbies leave... reef 2 reef here I come

CStrickland
06/27/2016, 10:51 PM
Oh stuff it. I went and found those links for you, it took a couple minutes. I was trying to be helpful. Good luck, you're going to need it.

Mr. Brooks
06/28/2016, 12:14 AM
I've heard of entitled millennials, never encountered one until now. Kidding aside, there's too much info to fit into a simple chart. Spend some time reading. Do the work. That's half the fun. And don't be rude to be people who take the time to help you. Very poor form.

GimpyFin
06/28/2016, 12:22 AM
No kidding about the Nasa, I did that on purpose so a bigger fish keeps the clowns in their nem. Your lazy reply is what i wanted to avoid. I wanted a chart not some link i read already that's the easy way out for you n you folks wonder why us newbies leave... reef 2 reef here I come

Nice response dude. Keep in mind you're the one with the ich problem. If you're too "lazy" to do your homework up front to help prevent it and then talk smack to someone genuinely trying to help you like you already know it all, I honestly don't know what you're looking for.

iluvmyfishes
06/28/2016, 01:06 AM
The standard answer is to let your DT run for 72 days without fish while your fish stay in QT. That did not work for me, I reverse it and take out all my corals and inverts and put them in my QT. I treat my DT with cupramin until my fish are healthy. That way I make sure all the ick in my DT is gone. Then I do weekly water changes for a few more weeks to make sure the cupramin is out of the tank and then I slowly start adding my corals back. Once my tank is healthy I make sure I QT everything new, even frags and inverts.

kmbyrnes
06/28/2016, 04:46 AM
Your lazy reply is what i wanted to avoid. I wanted a chart not some link i read already that's the easy way out for you n you folks wonder why us newbies leave...

If this is the thanks the group gets when they genuinely try to point you in the right direction, I feel sorry for you Kenreefer.
This hobby is about learning and growing. Sometimes that requires work on your part. We are here to help, not spoon-feed you. If you are not honestly looking for helpful information, then perhaps this is not the correct forum for you.
Good luck with your ich issue though.

reefgeezer
06/28/2016, 07:21 AM
Oh stuff it. I went and found those links for you, it took a couple minutes. I was trying to be helpful. Good luck, you're going to need it.

Kudos. Restrained and to the point.

This hobby is so much about reading and doing the work. That was a decent list for starters.

BrandonFlorida
06/28/2016, 07:35 AM
What a jack wagon...

lespaul339
06/28/2016, 07:41 AM
To the OP. Do the research.That's what we all do. Everything you need is already on this site. I thought the second post with all the links was helpful. We're here to learn and help each other. Not throw insults at one another. Good luck.

nereefpat
06/28/2016, 09:28 AM
After sending a day at reefapalooza one exhibiter mentioned how whose in the know...the hobbie in general continue to lose newbies. Soooo I will challenge you as much as I can to instruct me in my ick fight. I figured out the fresh water cycling, ciclid breeding. And ick. Simple compared to SW. The ultimate reef DT would have coral, anemone n fish. I lost all my fish but one, wasse, to ick. I'm tired of reading multiple cures? I'm not a chemical or bio major. Seems someone has or can explain things in simple english. So let's just make a time based chart of what to do when and for how long. Please no snake oil garlic people.

1. How do I eliminate ick pest from DT with corals, sand n LR?
2. I setup QT, no sand or rock, with 2 clowns n 1 Naso tang, now what?

1. There is no way to eliminate ich from a display tank with corals and rock. Hyposalinity will kill inverts (that's the point). Copper will be absorbed by the rock and kill inverts. EXCEPT, What was stated about letting the display go fishless for a couple months to starve the parasite.

2. Tank transfer method is popular around here .

Bdial
06/28/2016, 09:36 AM
You could always ignore it. Feed your fish. Provide a stable environment. Give everything they need. Ich can be conquered and is probably the lesser of the parasites to worry about. My fish have had ich. I didn't panic or throw them in a tiny tank. I just up my feedings and variety of food. I just wanted to make sure they kept eating. I have never lost a fish due to an ich outbreak. *knock on wood*

CHSUB
06/28/2016, 10:05 AM
Ick=bad!:jester:

jd371
06/28/2016, 10:21 AM
If you think someone is going to take you by the hand and make a "chart" for you in this or any other forum you are in for surprise. The information is there for you to read and research.

Blink2824
06/28/2016, 01:36 PM

Your post is lazy. This will never be a sticky. Learn some respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef Frog
06/28/2016, 02:09 PM
What the heck does Nasa have to do with fish? Don't they do space or something? I think Elon Musk owns them or something like that when he's not building electric cars and dreaming of pneumatic railways that will shoot people from LA to SF in a few minutes just like those tubes at the bank drive through. Wooish! I hear that NASA is always over budget and Musk is a multi trillionaire. Maybe that's why this hobby is so expensive? You'd think that jack weed could at least pay for a moon shot start up that disrupts the status quo with a real ICH cure. Nuff said, rant over.

Please feel free to correct any information here that I got wrong.
-Rossana Dan Dana's kid brother

gone fishin
06/28/2016, 02:38 PM

Good grief it is not rocket science. QT the fish using TTM for ich. If ich is in the DT leave fallow for 72 days. If you need to know how to do that, then look at the links that were kindly provided.