PDA

View Full Version : VorTech pumps - Slave pump behavior clarification

Potatohead
06/29/2016, 09:32 AM
I have been looking for this information online for a long while and never actually found an answer, so I decided to do a bunch of testing on my own.

It appears the general consensus is that when running a pump in slave mode, the pump speed you set is relative to the master. Meaning, if your master is set to 60%, and the slave to 100%, the slave will never exceed 60% speed. If the slave is set at 50%, it will never exceed 30% speed, and so on.

I have found this to be true while using the "regular" modes - ReefCrest, Lagood, Short Pulse, Long Pulse, etc. However during EcoSmart modes - Tidal Swell and Nutrient Transport, this does not appear to be true. If you read page 17 of the full VorTech manual ( http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/FULLMANUAL_Revision1.3.pdf ) this seems fairly straightforward, but it's very clear doing some reading online that people don't realize this. I have done some testing in Tidal Swell and with the master set at 70% and the slave to 100%, the slave will absolutely ramp all the way up. I then changed the slave to 70% in EcoSmart Live, and it came down immediately.

One other thing to note in the EcoSmart modes, is the sync/anti-sync relationship is not the same as in the regular modes. Sync simply means the pump is on the same side of the tank as the master, anti-sync means it's on the other side, and there is also another setting for pumps placed on the back wall. No matter how the slave pump is set, in these modes it is no longer a proper "slave" and following the master pump, it is simply following a program that already exists in the software.

I'm sure some people already know this, but I wanted to clarify because there is an absolute ton of misinformation out there on this.