PDA

View Full Version : Easy GFO replacement

hann1bal
06/29/2016, 02:05 PM
Does anyone have any good setups when it comes to GFO canisters and the replacing of the media.

I have the BRS deluxe mounted nicely but its a hassle to move the pump and discharge lines into buckets in order to rinse the new media (until it runs clean).

So far my plan is:

To connect the pump to the cannister as normal and not move it. On the discharge side I can maybe put a T-connector valve that in normal operation runs to the sump as well.

When I replace the media, I just switch the valve so the discharge goes out a separate line that i run in a bucket. If i do this during water changes only - it will take water from my sump, rinse the media, then put it in a bucket.

Once the water runs clear i switch it back to normal operation and continue my water change.

Does anybody else run into this problem?

billdogg
06/29/2016, 02:22 PM
I have 2 x BRS single canisters on both my systems. After I have replaced the GFO and carbon, I just hold the inner containers under the tap in the utility sink until they run clear, allow them to sit for a couple minutes until the dripping has slowed down and then reinstall them.

Why make it harder than you need to?

hann1bal
06/29/2016, 02:44 PM
Oh damn. I never thought of just rinsing it when i was adding the media. I do that with bags of carbon - I dont see the difference. I guess i just over thought it.

billdogg
06/29/2016, 03:23 PM
Overthinking tends to happen a lot in this hobby:rollface::fun4::rollface:

dastrder
06/29/2016, 03:28 PM
+1. I just rinse the canister under the sink before I replace. Also I bought an extra set of canisters so I fill one and replace it immediately allowing the used one time to dry and clean out.

hann1bal
06/29/2016, 03:29 PM
+1. I just rinse the canister under the sink before I replace. Also I bought an extra set of canisters so I fill one and replace it immediately allowing the used one time to dry and clean out.

Good idea. Thats what im gonna do. Thanks everyone!

sleepydoc
06/30/2016, 08:24 AM
I have a Two Little Fishies clone GFO reactor, and just put the discharge hose in a bucket, but the other thing you could do would be to put a tee in the discharge line with a couple valves, but Billdogg's suggestion is probably easier.

hann1bal
06/30/2016, 10:07 AM
I have a Two Little Fishies clone GFO reactor, and just put the discharge hose in a bucket, but the other thing you could do would be to put a tee in the discharge line with a couple valves, but Billdogg's suggestion is probably easier.

Yeah the first two times I replaced the media, I for some reason took out the pumps and used RO water, buckets, etc and it was a huge hassle. Fast forward a few weeks (after a tank leak!) and I was planning on setting it back up in my new stand.

I over thought it (as i do) and didn't think that I could either easily move the discharge line to a bucket or just rinse the media in the sink. Duh!

Thanks for the help!

hann1bal
06/30/2016, 10:09 AM
I wondered why there weren't other people posting about this (in my head) annoying process. Turns out its not that difficult. had to learn someway... :)

bfrench
06/30/2016, 10:25 AM
I wondered why there weren't other people posting about this (in my head) annoying process. Turns out its not that difficult. had to learn someway... :)

+1 :lolspin: