PDA

View Full Version : Jaw fish Eggs advise

Windyman55
06/30/2016, 08:45 AM
ok. After a year it seems the two Jawfish have spawned. the male wasn't seen all day yesterday and today he emerged with the customary black stripes under his neck and a mouth full of eggs. I have the basic set up on hand to try and raise Clowns (small tank, small heater, small sponge type filter that operates with a small air pump, Etc) And the foods shown in the picture. Not much info on how to try and save these guys. Can anyone point to a source of detailed info anywhere? personal experience? From what I understand I have about 7 to 8 more days left before hatching. ANY help would be appcreiated.
Thanks
Greg

ginpang
06/30/2016, 11:19 AM
There's a post on marine breeder about successfully raising larvae... From a high school teacher as a school project if I remember correctly.

I don't think they're that difficult to raise. The hard part is to collect them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

farfromsea
06/30/2016, 11:24 AM
Difficult to find! Martin Moe has had success raising jawfish in his lab but to my knowledge has not published details on the rearing of jawfish fry. Per my reading he fed the fry some wild-caught rotifers. You might find it beneficial to buy some online and culture some. They will probably be too small for the brine at first.

Good luck very excited to see how this turns out for you.

ginpang
06/30/2016, 12:39 PM
There's a post on marine breeder about successfully raising larvae... From a high school teacher as a school project if I remember correctly.

I don't think they're that difficult to raise. The hard part is to collect them.

They fed parvocalanus.

gogo7
06/30/2016, 10:46 PM
if i remember correctly, ginpang's right. parvo. you could try ciliates. have you got a microscope?

Windyman55
07/03/2016, 05:16 AM
Thanks guys. I found a ton of information on breeding all types of fish including the Jaw fish (pictured on cover) in this hard back book called:

The Complete Illustrated BREEDERS GUIDE to marine aquarium Fished.
Written by Mathew L. Wittenrich.

Reef Reaper
07/03/2016, 03:11 PM
Good luck the jawfish eggs

Chad Vossen
07/07/2016, 10:25 AM
Great recommendation on the Marine breeder's guide. That book is my bible! haha

Collecting the fry from the jawfish may be the bigger challenge. Using a larval trap would make it much easier, which can be found here - http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/larval-trap-vossen.html.

Food for the fry can be either rotifers or copepods (Parvo). You'll have more success with the parvo copepods, but cultures will take up more space than rotifers.
I prefer to order my live foods from this site - http://apbreed.com/product_parvocalanus_crassirostris.php.

If you are going to go with parvo, you'll need to also culture live phytoplankton, such as T-iso. There's a lot of information on this forum on how to do that.

Once you have the phyto, parvo, and larval trap, collecting and raising the fry will be relatively easy. We just raised over 100 orchid dottybacks this way, which has been really fun.

ThRoewer
07/07/2016, 11:36 PM
I was thinking to build a specific larva collector when my jawfish were spawning but never got to it. The idea I had was to place a large funnel over the males burrow that then ends into a skimmer-like cup with a mesh on the sides to let water out while retaining the larva. A bubbler could be added to the bottom of the funnel to generate a up-flow.
A solution like this would be the way to go when you plan to raise jawfish in large numbers and had to get pretty much all hatched larva.

farfromsea
07/08/2016, 12:45 AM
I was thinking to build a specific larva collector when my jawfish were spawning but never got to it. The idea I had was to place a large funnel over the males burrow that then ends into a skimmer-like cup with a mesh on the sides to let water out while retaining the larva. A bubbler could be added to the bottom of the funnel to generate a up-flow.
A solution like this would be the way to go when you plan to raise jawfish in large numbers and had to get pretty much all hatched larva.

That sounds interesting I guess the only thing is you need someway to secure the funnel/mesh bag down so that the bubbler or tank powerheads don't knock it all over.

Wilrok_1
08/18/2016, 08:33 AM
I wonder if dotty backs can be reared the same way

Chad Vossen
08/22/2016, 08:33 AM
g7wQhhS-uYk

Here's an example of orchid dottyback larvae in a Larval Trap. Would work the same for Jawfish as well.