PDA

View Full Version : Do CuC carry unwantedables

TauntingBeef
06/30/2016, 07:06 PM
ok so I'm getting close to starting to add a couple of cuc I'm just wondering after reading the forums about QT and why.
do I have to worry about cuc?:headwalls::debi:

CStrickland
06/30/2016, 09:16 PM
Crabs and snails carry a certain amount of water in their pockets, like between the shell and the flesh. And also one of the stages of ich can stick on them just like it does the sand. So if you want to keep all diseases out of you tank you do need to quarentine them. There are a lot of reefers that accept that risk and a lot that don't. It's like a question of would you put X% more effort in if it meant you were assured that your tank is very close to clear of disease.

It depends which disease you're QTing for. ich is famous for surviving a long time until it finds an opportunity and then you learn your whole tank was infected but managing and now all your fish are sick because your temp dropped 8 degrees and they couldn't deal. Velvet is more like if you don't see it in the first week you probs don't have it because it doesn't linger waiting for an opportunity the way ich does. Bt velvet will wipe your tank out overnight.

There's no right answer. Coral and CUC can harbor disease but some people take that chance because it relatively less risky. If you add a fish that's sick with velvet and barely hanging on straight to your tank you are looking at massive die off. If you add a snail with a single parasite in its shell pocket maybe it will not amount to anything. People with expensive fish or those who get attached tend to err on the side of caution and qt everything wet for 72 days. If they go withith a fish that long their lifecycle is broken.

Sk8r
06/30/2016, 09:27 PM
Also, if you just let the cuc work for 72 days without putting any fish in (you can add corals: test the water, and dip corals, etc) you can be pretty sure that if the cuc brought anything, it starved. Parasites tend not to hop phyla, though they may hop species.

TauntingBeef
07/01/2016, 05:40 AM
thanks a lot cuz I was hearing QT fish and coral but nothing on the cuc