PDA

View Full Version : Question about LED lights!

JeffyT
07/01/2016, 02:06 PM
Hi Reefers,

Info/Setup : JBJ 20g AIO Frag Tank, currently using a 4 bulb T5, turns on at 8:30 off at around 5:30

3 Clown Fish, 1 Rose BTA > planning on more BTA if not some zoas.

I have an AI Prime that is also currently attached to my tank. I use the Arm Mount hang it on.

I know that I have to slowly acclimate the Anemone to the intensity of LED's but I do want to ask the experts.

What colors/spectrum can I use on the Prime when my t5s are off to just look at my coral. I just wanna enjoy the anemone colors and corals and stuff.. but when I turn the t5's off the tank thinks its going into sleep mode.

I also want to avoid promoting growth or lighting for the growth of nuis algae.

Cheers!

Ron Reefman
07/02/2016, 06:19 AM
Avoid the red leds as many algae species use red spectrum for photosynthesis.

Since white is a combination of all colors, there is red in there as well (although white leds are a bit different than a color wheel white) so use less of it as well.

The blues and to some extent violet (some call it UV but it's not true UV) is the short wavelength, high energy light that some coral pigments use to fluoresce other colors.

It only takes a VERY small amount of 'white' light to wipe out the blue look and fluoresced light from the coral. But that doesn't mean the blue light isn't there, it's just your eyes don't see it very well. So be careful about how much total light you throw at your corals. Especially if it's going to be for longer periods of time, as in hours.

JeffyT
07/05/2016, 12:28 PM
Thanks Ron!

I'll keep in mind about the RED LED lights for the photosynthesis. Last thing I want is nuisance algae!

I was wondering if you had any insight on this particular problem I am having.

Everytime I turn the t5's off and switch to just a 5 percent Deep Blue and 5 percent Blue on my AI prime, my BTA goes into sleep mode. I was wondering how places like LFS and Shows get their BTA to "come out"?

I have tried to increase the blue settings after turning the t5s off up to 35 percent. But still no difference in results. Should i mix a little bit of Violet or Ultra Violet? or are my Blue settings maybe not high enough?

Ron Reefman
07/06/2016, 07:21 AM
If you are just running the blue leds on the AI fixture, you should be able to go to higher than 35%. Each night just try 5% or 10% higher. Also, run as little as 5% white on your led and that should keep everybody awake.

Two questions:
How high off the water surface is the light?
How deep in the water is the RBTA?

I have a RBTA in my 65g shallow reef and I can run my ReefBreeders fixture at 100% blue with no issues. BUT, my fixture is 20" off the water and that does make some difference. Also, the RBTA is 12" deep in the tank.

JeffyT
07/06/2016, 10:33 AM
The AI prime is mounted about I want to say A foot above the water? I can give you an exact measurement when I am home. And I want to about 6 inches under the water surface for the BTA. It's also rooted inside my aquascape where it can hide from the light.

I will try and post you a photo.

Yesterday night I tried the 20k spectrum setting which AI installed recently. I can use the mobile app to configure whatever spectrum I feel like ranging from 12k-20k. And I set the intensity to about 35 percent. The BTA was doing fine, but I would like more of a Blue/Violet hue.