PDA

View Full Version : 40 breeder final(?) fish

zelie_dad
07/01/2016, 10:36 PM
I want to pick up so more livestock for my tank, and was looking for some advise on what would be a good penultimate and final fish to add.

Currently, I have 2 Pajama Cardinals, a six line wrasse, and a lawn mower blenny. The blenny has been in the tank the longest, since the end of April 2016, and the other 3 for about a month.

I was in the lfs today, picking up some fw fish for my daughters tank, and I asked the salesperson to suggest something. She said a Royal Gramma, and then a coral beauty or flame angel. At the store, they said, both were fine for a 30+ gallon tank, but Live aquaria have cb and flame at 70 gallons.

So, would either of these be a good choice to round out my livestock? Do any other fish come to mind that I should consider? Any help would be appreciated.

Capiross1
07/01/2016, 11:24 PM
I like fire fish for smaller tanks, you'll just have to watch that 6 line with anything you put in I had one that was real laid back until he decided to go carpet surfing, I bought another one and he was a real dick and nipped at everything/everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThRoewer
07/02/2016, 01:08 AM
Grammas are fine for that tank size if the rockwork is set up right for them. I have a group of 3 in a 40B. They are very shy though and the sixline may harass them into hiding. My 3 share their tank with a pair of percula, a pair of kauderni, and a regal angel and are hardly ever out.

If you want to add angels I would recommend a pair or harem group of one of the pygmies: C. acanthops, C. aurantonotus, C. argi, C. flavicauda,...
I had argies in smaller tanks and they did OK as long as they were a pair or a group. All the singles I had went cuckoo crazy and spent their days swimming loops at race speed at the front or back of the tank.
If more than one they will also have the confidence to keep the sixline at bay.

Another interesting fish could be a pair of shrimp gobies from the genus Stonogobiops (nematodes, yasha,...) in symbiosis with a pistol shrimp (take candy canes or randallis over tigers).

zelie_dad
07/02/2016, 08:40 AM
I like fire fish for smaller tanks, you'll just have to watch that 6 line with anything you put in I had one that was real laid back until he decided to go carpet surfing, I bought another one and he was a real dick and nipped at everything/everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't noticed any aggressive behavior from the sixline. He is content swimming in and out of the rocks.

Firefighter seem a bit too timid for my tank. Also shouldn't have they gone in first?

Grammas are fine for that tank size if the rockwork is set up right for them. I have a group of 3 in a 40B. They are very shy though and the sixline may harass them into hiding. My 3 share their tank with a pair of percula, a pair of kauderni, and a regal angel and are hardly ever out.

If you want to add angels I would recommend a pair or harem group of one of the pygmies: C. acanthops, C. aurantonotus, C. argi, C. flavicauda,...
I had argies in smaller tanks and they did OK as long as they were a pair or a group. All the singles I had went cuckoo crazy and spent their days swimming loops at race speed at the front or back of the tank.

Another interesting fish could be a pair of shrimp gobies from the genus Stonogobiops (nematodes, yasha,...) in symbiosis with a pistol shrimp (take candy canes or randallis over tigers).

I figured a goby of any kind was off the list because the blenny.

I'll look into those angels.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jraker
07/02/2016, 08:48 AM
Blennies normally perch on rocks, while shrimp/goby pairs stay on the bottom. They probably will not fight.

ThRoewer
07/02/2016, 12:27 PM
I have a bicolor blenny with a pair of High Fin gobies and they mutually ignore each other.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

zelie_dad
07/05/2016, 02:05 PM

If I were to get a few of the angels you mentioned, could I mix and match, and how many?

ThRoewer
07/05/2016, 02:10 PM
I would suggest you pick the species you like best and then get 2 or 3 of them to get a pair or harem group.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk