PDA

View Full Version : LED supplement for halide pendant mounting options?

trmiv
07/02/2016, 11:23 AM
I currently have a 60g cube with a single Hamilton Cayman sun pendant. On each side I mounted a 15" Reefbrite XHO actinic. While I love the way it makes the tank look, I hate the way the pendant looks with these two strips tacked on the sides (well not me as much as the wife hates it). The strips are longer than the pendant, so I had to rig up some brackets, and admittedly it's not the best look.

Anyway I'm in the process of upgrading to a 120g (48x24x24) and I will be adding a second Cayman sun pendant. I really don't want to tack on another set of Reefbrites to the sides of this one. I considered just mounting one 15" reefbrite to each of my pendants, but the issue is that throws off the balance of the pendant and they sit wrong. So now I think I'm going to sell my two 15" strips and look for some other options, but I can't think of a good way to mount something with my pendants.

One 48" reefbrite xho strip with tank mounts would look odd with two pendants above it I think. Another option would be to hang the 48" reefbrite in back of the pendants, but that would require the pendants a little further forward than I think they should be. Unless I can angle the reefbrite somehow. Another option would be smaller blue led's mounted to the sides of my pendants so they don't stick out like sore thumbs like these two reefbrites do currently. I'm not looking for these to punch through the halides, I really just want them for dawn/dusk before and after the halide is on. The most expensive option would be a couple of kessil 160's with goosenecks, but that seems like a waste of the power of those.

Does anyone have examples of how they've added supplements to halide pendants that look nice?

trmiv
07/04/2016, 09:42 AM
Futile bump. :)

sirreal63
07/04/2016, 11:18 AM
I went with a floating canopy to alleviate that problem. It allowed me to use the VHO and LED supplements with the halides.