PDA

View Full Version : Accilimating tangs and qt?

tomreefer
07/03/2016, 12:07 PM
Ok I just got a hippo tang and wondering what size is the smallest qt for these guys? Also drip method I am guessing like 2 hours?

CarrieB
07/03/2016, 01:30 PM
Read this about acclimation: Death in bags...acclimation fatality: why it happens
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1959576

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capt.Nemo
07/03/2016, 04:40 PM
I have always heard, do not drip fish. Match salinity and temp. Give him a nice dark quiet place to feel secure.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sapelo
07/03/2016, 05:04 PM
What size is the tang? Personally, I like 40 gallon breeders for qt but I am hoping you already have a qt set up, you're not asking about it after you bought the fish?
See above for acclimating, do not drip.

CStrickland
07/03/2016, 07:28 PM
I don't get it. Did you like buy a fish and then set him on the kitchen counter in his bag while you figured out what you were going to do with him?

If it's not already done, there's good info on acclimation and setting up a qt in the "setting up" sticky at the top of the list of threads in this section of the forum, as well as the one Carrie linked. I hope this hippo isn't going in your 75 gallon tank.

heathlindner25
07/03/2016, 08:07 PM
I don't get it. Did you like buy a fish and then set him on the kitchen counter in his bag while you figured out what you were going to do with him?

If it's not already done, there's good info on acclimation and setting up a qt in the "setting up" sticky at the top of the list of threads in this section of the forum, as well as the one Carrie linked. I hope this hippo isn't going in your 75 gallon tank.

This

tomreefer
07/04/2016, 10:03 AM
Yes he's going into 75 gallon. My LFS said that in a couple years he needs to go in a bigger tank which I am fine with.

hkgar
07/04/2016, 02:12 PM
First of all, have you ever tried to catch a fish in a tank with a bunch of live rock and encrusted corals? Very difficult, if not impossible. If you really insit on going ahead with it, I first subject ALL my new fish to TTM (tank transfer method) for possible Ick (particularly Tangs) and I currently have a purple tang and 2 wrasses in day 10 of TTM. I use 2 10 gallon tanks.

When TTM is complete they will go into a 30 gallon for 4 weeks QT,

Pleas give second thoughts to a Blue Hippo. Check out this thread by Bertoni on tank size for Tangs.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

240 for a Hippo.

Gey the fish you can keep and nuture long term. You really do not need to be stressing out a fish because it is a Dory

hkgar
07/04/2016, 02:14 PM
Some things from Sk8r about Blue Hippos

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2586366

tomreefer
07/04/2016, 04:01 PM
would my LFS take him back for a Kole or a Mimic I wonder.

hkgar
07/04/2016, 05:33 PM
If your LFS is an upfront straight shooting person, yes. If he doesn't kiss him good bye. When I mad a mistake with a fish purchase - actually a fish that when introduced got along with no one - my LFS gave me full retail store credit, even though I had bought the fish online and he was aware of that. Not many would do that.

tomreefer
07/04/2016, 05:39 PM
Ok I am going to try.